Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Extending the Life of My Transmission? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/extending-life-my-transmission-54870/)

dslchome 05-18-2013 08:25 AM

Extending the Life of My Transmission?

So does the 2002 Accord V6 automatic Trans come with a Transmission cooler via the factory? I have 175K miles on the orginal transmisson and the transmission works perfect, I always do 3 QT drain and fill with each oil change and yes I used Honda ATF Z1 then now DW1, matter of fact when I was told the new ATF DW1 was synthetic I did a full 9 quart 3x drain and fill.

Anways I take real good care of my Honda and as I said it has 175K miles on it and Im thinking of putting a transmisson cooler, However If there is one already there I have never seen it. Does anyone have a PDF or a pics of of the cooler? And if there is no cooler what is the a good cooler to use? Is there a how to with pics that shows how to install it?
I was looking at the

Hayden Automotive 403 Ultra-Cool Tube and Fin Transmission Cooler

but I cant find any kind of guide online that shows pics how to do it. I ussually watch on You tube videos that show you how to do things and I cant find one on this yet.

Any advise would be nice.

Ohhh also the only addative I have ever used is

ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stops Leaks, 8 Ounce Bottle

Once I had a small rear main seal leak and I added a bottle to the Oil for the Engine and to the tranny...
and when I drove around the block, I put cardboard under the front of the motor and the drips stopped.
To bad you cant find any ATP Products at your local auto part stores... Probably b/c they know they work
and want you to keep coming back on products that dont work or just work for a few weeks...
anways.. back to point.

ATP AT-203 Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Friction Modifier

and it keeps the tranny much cooler

also this is the original tranny from the factory..... So 175K on 1st factory Honda Tranny and the Tranny still works Perfect.....and I will say ,
I want to keep it this way :)

Any advice or pics of the factory cooler is there is one would be nice
and if anyone has a guide or pics of a pdf of a add on cooler would be nice.
I have read some people get 300K miles on this tranny if taken care of.

Thank you

TexasHonda 05-18-2013 11:43 AM

I moved your post for better attention.

All the AT-equipped Honda/Acura products I've had or seen have AT cooler built into the radiator. ATF flows from trans to radiator fitting on bottom side of radiator and returns via a second fitting to trans.

Interupting this flow and dumping to catch basin is how diy ATF replacement is performed. See following link:

good luck

dslchome 05-19-2013 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 321830)
I moved your post for better attention.

All the AT-equipped Honda/Acura products I've had or seen have AT cooler built into the radiator. ATF flows from trans to radiator fitting on bottom side of radiator and returns via a second fitting to trans.

Interupting this flow and dumping to catch basin is how diy ATF replacement is performed. See following link:

10 Min Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush + Replacement (Most Cars) - YouTube

good luck

thank you

so the car already has a cooler?

TexasHonda 05-19-2013 08:18 AM

Yes, car has cooler if there are two ATF lines to the radiator.

good luck