Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   f22 vs f23 (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/f22-vs-f23-1811/)

marbro 01-24-2006 09:29 PM

f22 vs f23

Ive been hunting information on my f23 engine and other then the fact nothing "performance" can be found for it I was wondering if the head of the f22 and f23 were the same in terms of valves, valve springs and then if the crank shaft is the same for both engines. Ive tried getting that information from guys who do work on engines but nothing is ever given. Any help would be great, thanks guys

lightshow 01-25-2006 12:27 AM

RE: f22 vs f23

well the f23 runs a little bigger bore*stroke. the conbustion chamber in the head might have a little bigger "cc". other than that the engines are the same. many performance parts for the f22 should fit perfectly on the f23. honda just thought that the prelude should be a little quicker than an accord and there is no replacement for displacement.

\
lightshow

marbro 01-25-2006 03:51 AM

That is true, but the only true difference between the f and h series is the dual over head cam, I am just trying to get a, Yes I am absolutely sure they are the same because no one upgrades f23 engines or show anything but oem parts for it, but there are a few upgrades for the f22. As for the h series, 1 you can match the bore in the f series and just increase the compression and get the same horsepower out of it, whats nice though is the f series have a longer stroke. A little off the subject though..... my whole plan upgrading the engine to the point before I need to rechip/stand alone full management, then add a turbo and fuel management. As little prefab is what im trying to avoid in the end.

lightshow 01-25-2006 05:17 AM

hey...well im sure that there are performance parts that wont fit on the f23 that are made for the f22. just about everything you could want to do to the car you could do without going to a stand alone fuel management system.. i dont know if you have ever tuned a map its a real bitch, youll fix a couple cells and somehow f up a bunch of others. and taking timing off under boost just sucks. when you leave your self stuck but to either get the mixture to fire or take off some boost. when its like that the rip just feels a little more exponential. ok heres a list of parts that i know will fit for a turbo application.]]] if you going to do n/a then do n/a if your doing turbo then do it now.

f22 turbo manifold
garret turbo..
syanpse missing link for f22.
vortech boost dependant fuel management unit.
hks blow off valve
assorted braided lines and hoses that would fix either of your engines
intake piping
2g eclipse side mount intercooler or any front mount made for f22
turbo intake for f22

let me know any specific questions that you may have but yes definatley certainly there are part for the f22 that will fit the f23.

lightshow

marbro 01-25-2006 05:47 AM

Really the only specific questions i have are for the f23 cam, what durations are best for turbo application taking into consideration i want it to be more open then stock is, if f22 springs and valves will work in an f23 engine that problem is solved for my plan to increase the rpms by 1000 will work out easy enough, as for fitting new valves its easy to do considering i have the tools to do that and im sure the stroke is the same length between the f22/23
Is the crank shaft exactly the same between the two? that will define the ease of getting rods, i think i remember a company that makes them for f22 engines.
Forged pistons will be easy enough for me to get, i expect to pay 800 for those reguardless of what i do...... but thats all i can think of this late at night.....

lightshow 01-25-2006 09:47 PM

yes the cams and crank are the same. gude and AEBS make turbo grinds for your motor, i dont know the duration or lift though offhand.

lightshow

marbro 01-26-2006 06:19 AM

Yeah, im glad i looked at gude, they actually give lifts and durations of their regrind. AEBS doesnt seem to do it for my motor tho. But i am going to have to do some extra research on the f22 valves and springs, because ive had a few people say that that those are different from the f23, which kinda makes sense seeing as the f22 has a smaller stroke then my engine. So im going to have to hunt down some cheap valves and springs locally to compare them. So after i check the dealership and they dont give me the answers i need, ill just have to find some second hand... But thank you for the gude suggestion..... that will be really helpful in a few months

EMEX 01-31-2006 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: marbro

That is true, but the only true difference between the f and h series is the dual over head cam, I am just trying to get a, Yes I am absolutely sure they are the same because no one upgrades f23 engines or show anything but oem parts for it, but there are a few upgrades for the f22. As for the h series, 1 you can match the bore in the f series and just increase the compression and get the same horsepower out of it, whats nice though is the f series have a longer stroke. A little off the subject though..... my whole plan upgrading the engine to the point before I need to rechip/stand alone full management, then add a turbo and fuel management. As little prefab is what im trying to avoid in the end.
Remember, bigger storoke, means more torque.
I would also advise you to go to a shop or accquire a shop manual for your car. A shop however will be able to tell you if and what engine parts are the same. if the f23 is slighly bigger in stroke, then there's probably higher tension bolts involved. If shop has one of thos alldata progs, they'll be able to help you.

marbro 02-01-2006 01:08 AM

Yeah, ive tried finding a shop manuel for my car but i dont think i found one with my year, but thats nothing new.... probably hunt for it a little more...

6thgen 02-01-2006 10:53 AM

F22b really doesn't have that many more upgrades than the F23. Cranks can't be the same w/ different size mains. www.jgenginedynamics.com that should give you some prices, etc.