Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Fuel Recommendations (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/fuel-recommendations-2268/)

sir_nasty 03-09-2006 07:47 PM

Fuel Recommendations

I know there was just recently a post similar to this one but I believe it was in referance to a 2006 V6 Accord so I didn't know if it was really applicable. Normally I just do the hit and miss type of selection for fuel by trying one at a time but I was curious about other peoples suggestions.

I live in BFE so my choice of fuel stations is limited... I've been using the 87 octane but what does Honda call for in a 94 Accord EX? Should I try some more expensive stuff for the F22 engine w/ Manual Tranny?

marbro 03-09-2006 09:18 PM

RE: Fuel Recommendations

The manual should say 87 octane fuel should be used on your car. But there would be no real benifit of using a higher octane

lightshow 03-10-2006 02:19 AM

your manual does call for 87 but i feel exactly the opposite of marbro. i think to start with, there is a more expensive detergent and additive package in premium fuel which will keep your fuel system, injectors, valves, and combustion chambers drastically cleaner when used over a decent period of time. also, your computer is intelligent. it can tell when you are loafin around and want to save fuel and it can tell when you want to get from point a to point b in the shortest period of time. the difference between optimal fuel efficiency and maximum power is timing, and there is only a certain amount of timing that you can run before detonation becomes present. the higher the octane fuel that you run, the more timing that can be run. make no mistake though your car will run just fine with regular fuel your car doesnt need it. and directly because of what i just said, you car will actually get better gas mileage with lower octane fuel.

sir_nasty 03-10-2006 01:19 PM

That's kind of what I have always thought but for "squeeks and giggles" I put in 89 yesterday and guess what!? No noteable difference... however my plugs and wires may need changed....

accord4sroy 03-10-2006 01:27 PM

i put 89 since out here where i live its the cheapest, usually i go with the 87 that doesn't have ethanol in it. anyways, i noticed that with the 89 there was a good response. so, lightshow makes a great point about octane! however, i think ethanol isn't good for engines. they should just put some other additive in gas. i know that in other cities they are using it in all three grades with like 10%.

that's my two cents on fuel. at least out in the east and west you guys can put quality fuel. i feel out here in the midwest we are short changed a little.

marbro 03-10-2006 01:33 PM

There shouldnt really be any extra additives unless the gas station says otherwise. Thats part of the reason why I wish there were chevrons in the area. ^_^ If the fuel is burnt completely the force of the combustion should also help clean the valves, the dome and the pistons. In terms of actual performance going to a higher octane wont do anything for him.

Maimster 03-10-2006 01:39 PM

I seem to switch up and both however I feel no real difference. My pocket does however.

accord4sroy 03-10-2006 02:06 PM

yeah, i hear chevron is really good. its mostly out west especially california they say. i like mobil, shell, and bp. i would prefer mobil and shell but there are none really out here where i live.

RTexasF 03-13-2006 09:52 AM

The higher octane fuels may contain a bit more detergent additives but the extra octane points don't do squat for a car designed for 87. At each oil change put a large bottle of Techron in the tank and fill it up. Buying premium fuel all the time for the barely measurable amount of additional additive is not healthy for your wallet......the engine doesn't benefit either.

Sendal 05-27-2006 07:34 AM

I am usualy fill up my tank when near empty .. I put 3 times on regular and 1 time with high octane.