Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   G23 frankenstein, anyone know anything about it? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/g23-frankenstein-anyone-know-anything-about-24846/)

Arlon 04-17-2009 07:33 AM

G23 frankenstein, anyone know anything about it?

Alright so straight up i dont own an accord, however i do own a civic. Now back in december when i was looking for a motor swap for my civic i came across a guy with an F23 motor out of a 99 acccord. I wanted to do this swap because there arent many people who do it. But since then ive been reading more and more about the F23 to become a little more familiar with it. The other day i came across a discussion about a G23 frankenstein motor, so of course i had to read it. Now i still dont know everthing about the F23 but i really dont know much about the G23. Now from what ive read it starts with the F23 block, and then use an H-series head with various other components from other honda motors. From my understanding though this is a pretty nasty motor to build and i really want to build one. So really if you know anything about this frankenstein motor let me know what you know, especially if you have built one yourself. Also im looking for any places that i can find parts for this build, so let me know.
-thanks

live2rice 04-17-2009 07:47 AM

To me it seems like a whole lot of work and the gains aren't that great, however it is definitely unique and kind of cool.

You are unlikely, I had a H23 and H22 head sitting around but I just sold them both.

JimBlake 04-17-2009 07:53 AM

It would be easier if you can find an H23.
Also FYI, Honda actually did make a legit G-series engine. It's a 5-cyl in the Acura Vigor and is completely unrelated to what you're talking about. Just in case you read something about the real G-series, don't get confused.

I don't really know much about the G23 Frankenstein, but I'll move this to engine/internals where you'll probably get a better answer.

clutch811 04-17-2009 05:49 PM

I think i know exactly what youre talking about and its not just a head swap. I saw an article not too long ago about it. it involves a specific block, head, pistons, etc. you take from other engines and it all fits really well together and makes mean power like i think they said with a tune and all somewhere over 200HP. ill look and see if i can find it.

Arlon 04-17-2009 06:04 PM

ya well i guess it makes mad torque. but like from what i remember reading about you use the f23 block and crank, with a h23 or h22 head and then like k20 pistons or something. i just need to know like all the parts behind it and the price range. im really considering it tho, because im either going to just stay with the f23 and just rebuild that or frankenstein it into the g23. it just depends on money and whether or not its really worth it

falkore24 04-17-2009 06:28 PM

You can find a good amount of info on this in Wikipedia and by searching Google. Basically, the F23 has the advantage of iron sleeves over the stock FRM on the H-series. FRM allows super high reving, but isn't good for boost. Now the H-head flows better than the F, so combining the two gets better flow and has iron sleeves. Add a snail, 4 worms & an FMIC and you are looking at a nice powerplant!!!!

Arlon 04-17-2009 08:15 PM

ya it definitely sounds like something i might want to do. especially the fact that not that many people build these. i mean its just going to be even more insane to put one in my civic. but the overall power sounds worth it

live2rice 04-17-2009 08:24 PM

As I recall there are a lot of small parts and some big parts you need to get, and possibly even some machine work.

botang47 04-17-2009 09:08 PM

import tuner was the mag with the g23 article. it has an incredible amount of info just to get you started.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...dge/index.html

g22cd5 04-18-2009 10:21 AM

I say do it Im all about the frank motors. IMO take the f23 block bore it out to 87mm find some h22 pistons and a h22 or h23 head. Get some normal bolt ones (CAI/FULL exhaust ect.) Get a good tune and you should have a nice beast for that civic of yours.