Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Getting off the Line Quicker (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/getting-off-line-quicker-10077/)

Antarctica 06-03-2007 10:01 PM

Getting off the Line Quicker

I know that domestic cars use a shift kit to accelerate and shift gears quicker, and import cars don't usually have shift kits, including the Honda Accord. I am looking for a way to get my gears to shift faster and get off the line quicker but I'm not sure how to do that. One of my friends has a 95 Accord with an automatic transmission, and he used an engine pulley kit (if I'm right about that). Tell me, are there any ways to get my car off the line quicker from a complete stop? Thank you.

Crono139 06-03-2007 10:27 PM

RE: Getting off the Line Quicker

A pulley kit doesn't do much, honestly.

There is already a decent amount of torque in the motor, so just launch it the best you can, and be happy.

YeuEmMaiMai 06-04-2007 06:40 AM

shift kit is useless in an electroniclly controlled transmission. The TCU controls everything from main line pressure to shift points. and automatic already changes gears in less than .5 seconds. you are not going to get any better performance than what the unit already offers in terms of shift speed. you want off the line quicker? MAKE MORE TORQUE

BlkCurrantKord 06-04-2007 08:35 AM

Brake torque if your auto, launch at a higher rpm and get some sticky tires if you're manual.

legionofone 06-04-2007 12:13 PM

even in electronicaly controled (solenoid controled) transmissions shift kits are usefull... bringing the strength of the holding equipment up from stock... generaly this is done by using ported seperator plate that goes between the valve body and the channel plate... it allows more fluid to flow in a shorter period of time thus shortening ur shift time and alowing quicker application of full pressure... since hondas automatic trannys arent generaly built (some honda trannys actualy have automatic manuals... with manual like gearboxes controled by hydrolic pressure on different sleeves) they dont generaly have shift kits like drag trannys do... (TH700-4R TH350-3R TH400-3R and Powerglides) and there electronic counter parts (4L60-E 4L80-E)

Antarctica 06-04-2007 01:00 PM

Hmm, then what about a torque converter upgrade or a pulley kit? I know that the pulley kit does very little, but how much little does it do? My friend wrecked his 95 Accord and is selling me his new pulley kit really cheap.

legionofone 06-04-2007 02:07 PM

pully kit is always good less rotating mass the better... lets just say to get to the end point of a very fast car u will have a pully kit... 5-10 HP depending on the condition the underdrive and the weight of the stock and upgraded pullys... a torque converter is a good idea as ur engine is a high end engine more than a low end... so a 3200ish TC would be great

Antarctica 06-04-2007 02:48 PM

Okay, so from what you guys say, the two best things I should do in order to get off the line quicker is get the pulley kit and get a torque converter upgrade. When my friend wrecked his Accord, all he damaged was his front bumper and his radiator. Everything else is good under the hood. So, he's selling me most of his parts for dirt cheap prices, including a better pulley kit. I can't miss this opportunity, so I'm going to buy his pulley kit and get it installed. legionofone says that the pulley kit will gain me an additional 5-10 HP. Well, those numbers add up, and I would rather have a 5-10 HP than nothing. Next, you guys mention I should have a torque converter upgrade. From what I understand, I won't gain any HP, but I will be able to accelerate from a standstill much quicker than before. I understand that around 3200 RPM is the best for the upgrade since my car's optimal torque is around the high end of the RPM scale. Am I right about all this?

BlkCurrantKord 06-04-2007 03:12 PM

A pulley kit isn't gonna give you 5-10hp...maybe 3 at most.

RTexasF 06-04-2007 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

A pulley kit isn't gonna give you 5-10hp...maybe 3 at most.
Agreed....5-10 is only in your dreams.