Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   H22a Modding (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/h22a-modding-6506/)

spyda22 12-16-2006 09:42 PM

H22a Modding

Wondering if anyone knows any cheap ways to beef up the hp on a stock H22a with a K&N cold air intake on it. Stock, it has 190hp, and I would like to get it up to 250+ as cheap as possible.
I would be doing all my own work, so all I'm looking for are ideas and parts.

legionofone 12-16-2006 10:11 PM

RE: H22a Modding

cheap... nitrous...
right... turbo...
hard... high comp

Slusher 12-16-2006 11:30 PM

DOHC engines are very receptive to new cams and valve train work, but do require some more tuning savy to have it run right and get the most hp.

95SiR 12-17-2006 04:01 AM

depending on ur meaning of "cheap", how much you willing to spend? nitro is cheap for short period of time, turbo is the best way to go, more power comparing to N/A andit cheaper than runnin NA, at the end, you still lookin at 2g+ to get near that 250+hp

spyda22 12-17-2006 09:49 PM

I'm looking at spending under $5000 on engine work. I would like to stay NA, to keep it responsive, and if I was to get away from NA, I would do a supercharger. I am more about torque and throttle response, but I also want to have the 250+ hp. I'm basically lookin to run against my dad's NA 300zx (222 hp) and be noticeably faster before he swaps in his V8.
nitrous is a no. turbo is a no. supercharger would be the only non NA option. cams and pistons and valve train...thats more what im lookin for...
I can do everything in my garage, so i dont care about how hard or how long the work would be.

poser_pilot6 12-17-2006 10:05 PM

Just out of curiousity, what do you have against turbo? As for cylinder head, check out Gude. They make a head and cams for the H22, I do believe.

spyda22 12-17-2006 10:34 PM

the thing ive noticed about turbos is that they are not responsive enough. yeah they produce alot of hp after they spool up, but i want the power when i hit the throttle. i dont like waiting for it. i dont have anything AGAINST turbos, i just like superchargers better.

poser_pilot6 12-17-2006 11:06 PM

Fair enough. I havent really looked at superchargers for the Accords, does anyone make one? Or is that something you can put together yourself? You are absolutely right though, turbos make a ton of hp but there is a nice lag before they do. If you have a $5000 budget and you are doing all the work yourself, I see no reason why you wont reach your horsepower goal.

legionofone 12-18-2006 12:44 AM

get a JDM H22 ram some cams in and some 12:1 comp pistons and ur good

Shadow1992 01-15-2007 01:48 AM

I know you don't want to go turbo, but you could try for a relatively small turbo. Generally the smaller the turbo the quicker the spool, albeit with less overall hp gain. Plus turbo spool is a factor of rpm, not speed. so unless you want to try to race your father at less than 3000rpm in first gear, the lag should not be an issue. But for staying N/A, try going cold air, new headers, hi-flow cat, larger aftermarket exhaust, also look at upgrading the ignition system, possibly new intake manifold and larger throttle body. also port match both the header and manifold gaskets. Also look at non engine upgrades such as a short throw shifter if you are running a manual. It won't add any hp or torque, but the less time it takes to shift with the engine disengaged from the clutch, the less time your enigne isn't wasting it's power.And for staying N/A remember that engines are just air pumps, the more air you can get in and the more exhaust you can get out, the more power you'll make.