Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   harmonic balancer problems (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/harmonic-balancer-problems-14131/)

mrwigglezdj 11-20-2007 09:32 AM

harmonic balancer problems

well this is more of a rant i guess,
but i had a major problem with my car yesterday ....
i began to hear a bad taping noise and looked under the hood because it wasnt a motor noise like blown motor and i seen my balancer just wabbleing around, i tightend it back up to make it home and when i made it home it was loose again, well this am i got out there to take a look at it in day light and both belts were destroyed and i removed the balancer and found that when the bolt backed off and it was wabbleing it chiped a pice of the balancer away so now i need to get a new one ...
is it recomended to use thread lock on the bolt for the balancer?

mrwigglezdj 11-21-2007 09:33 PM

RE: harmonic balancer problems

well got my new balancer in tonight and took all of 20 minutes to put it back on along with new belts, well i let the car idle for a few minutes and id be damed if the bolt didnt start backing out again , so i guess im going to have to use the thread lock after all, pull the starter and wedge something in the flywheel to hold the crank still enough so i can tourqe down on the crank bolt...
other than buying that 50 dollar crank tool anyone have any tips as to how i can go about geting that bolt tight enough with hand tools? i dont have access to air powerd tools

Tony1M 11-24-2007 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: mrwigglezdj

well got my new balancer in tonight and took all of 20 minutes to put it back on along with new belts, well i let the car idle for a few minutes and id be damed if the bolt didnt start backing out again , so i guess im going to have to use the thread lock after all, pull the starter and wedge something in the flywheel to hold the crank still enough so i can tourqe down on the crank bolt...
other than buying that 50 dollar crank tool anyone have any tips as to how i can go about geting that bolt tight enough with hand tools? i dont have access to air powerd tools
Phone a local Honda dealer and ask the service dept. how much they'll charge you to torque the bolt. If you're lucky, they'll tell you they'll do it for free. Even if they don't do it for free, considering thatit will take them a grand total of about 2 minutes to tighten the thing, I doubt if they'd charge youmore than ten or 15 bucks.

elvis 07-28-2008 03:55 PM

Same thing happened on my daughters Accord 2.2 VTEC 96. Wobbling and belts jumping off of bottom pulley (PS and Alt.)So I go to tow it home from truck stop 150 miles away. Get it home in trailer,remove balancer, smooth inside...go get another (junk yard pulled 4 ) 3 worse than mine...all VTEC correct. Won't stay on...What gives.Put new crank key in also.Junk yard guy said they sell bunches of these for all models in 90-2000. Did the last guy get his to stay on????? Timing belt put on 30K ago 3 years, seems wierd all of the sudden won't stay on and kept tight for that long.