Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Honda Accord: 4 banger verses V6 (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/honda-accord-4-banger-verses-v6-12540/)

kayemmmm 09-16-2007 12:27 AM

Honda Accord: 4 banger verses V6

I currently own an 2004 Honda Accord EX Coupe V6 and I'm loving the car. And I wanted to get your opinions on how you guys think about this: I hear people say how 4 banger is a better option than a V6. In many ways like installing turbo, supercharger, maintainence, etc. I'm pretty sure this is off topic but please discuss this with me :)

superballz00 09-16-2007 01:30 AM

RE: Honda Accord: 4 banger verses V6

I think the V6 is by far better than the 4cyl. I mean most people out there will only get intake, header, and exhaust. Very few will get a turbo. If they do get a turbo they will need to beef up the tranny and spend even more money.

stevent 09-16-2007 01:32 AM

Since the 7th gen has the k series, it does have a lot of potential since it's responsive to mods. But stock for stock, the v6 is the better option. And if we're talking FI, then the v6 still beats the 4 banger no matter which way you look at it. The only way for the 4 banger to come even close to the v6 is the k20/24 swap and boost it. But the j32 from the TL can be swapped into the v6 and make it into a 3.5L with the rods and pistons from the pilot or mdx (I forgot which one) and you'll still be making more power than the 4 banger. Down side, either way you look at it, money is the deciding variable. And maintainence cost a little bit more than the 4 banger.

6genex 09-16-2007 03:32 AM

i've got the 4 cyl and i'm loving it. it's got plenty of quick to it especially with the top speed governor removed and the cold air intake. With those 2 mods alone i'm keeping up with my brothers Dinan chipped 325i, and i've got my own chip comming in the mail. To top it all off i'm averaging 420 miles to a tank.

02BlueAccord 09-16-2007 04:17 AM

hey where did you get your chip at? and how are you averaging that many miles? i only get like 330 before i gotta fill up

kayemmmm 09-16-2007 07:55 AM

I mean.. I guess the V6 can be better but why is it SOHC? ALL Honda V6 engines are SOHC not DOHC.. why why why.. and they say how Honda is known for its 4 cyl engines??

accords own 09-16-2007 02:40 PM

4 cyl. FTW!

falkore24 09-17-2007 10:15 AM

the NSX has a DOHC V6. They use SOHC for a few reasons. It's cheaper to make; less moving parts = more reliable than it's DOHC counterpart (hypothetical); SOHC is smaller than DOHC.

My gripes are: Why did they take out the second step of VTEC control on the 6th gens and wtf is with this crappy auto tranny!

6genex 09-18-2007 02:09 AM

in response to 02 blue accord: hey where did you get your chip at? and how are you averaging that many miles? i only get like 330 before i gotta fill up
i got my chip off of ebay for one (chose the 100% garenteed one), and for the 420 miles to a tank, 1, i usually am driving freeway and 2, i'm light on the gas unless i'm driving my favorite windy road or mashing a random car that looks fast :)

marbro 09-18-2007 08:50 AM

unchipped you should be getting wellover 420miles per tank...... i mean seriously before the mods i got over 480 on a 15 gallon fuel up after all my mod 380 miles 50 50 city highway driving..... but i still have yet to do full highway on a tank..... kinda makes me wonder how people mess up their cars or are just heavy on the gas