Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Hot weather driving (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/hot-weather-driving-10973/)

japo2336 07-14-2007 06:17 PM

Hot weather driving

I live in Arizona. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the engine cooler? It is not overheating at all, just figuring that the less heat in the engine/compartment the better. Less wear and tear on everything. Any other suggestions not related to the engine? Let's here them. Half the country is posting record highs.

smaglik 07-15-2007 09:47 PM

RE: Hot weather driving

dont use ac and turn the heater on. seriously, i wouldnt worry about it. car should be able to handle it unless you are operating it well outsdie its range (truly excessive temps, towing, etc)

last weekend, I was in death valley with my m3. the temp read 122 outside temp. at one point, going up a steep grade at low speed, i had to drop the windows and put the heat on to avoid over heating. funny thing was, the hot air coming out of the dash still felt cooler than that coming through the windwos.

JimBlake 07-16-2007 03:38 PM

Keep your cooling system in good shape. Coolant that's beginning to gel with age will NOT be a good coolant inside the water jacket oftheengine.

Check coolant level in the actual radiator. It's possible for the overflow reservoir to be full while the radiator is very low.

sir_nasty 07-16-2007 04:23 PM

You could always take your thermostat out.... get a bigger radiator, drain and re-fill your fluids, aftermarket high airflow radiator fans, small custom built ram air in the front to drive more cooling through the radiator....

smaglik 07-16-2007 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

You could always take your thermostat out.... get a bigger radiator, drain and re-fill your fluids, aftermarket high airflow radiator fans, small custom built ram air in the front to drive more cooling through the radiator....
i think i'll just turn on the heat for the one time i might have to. haha

sir_nasty 07-16-2007 05:32 PM

^ Taking the easy way out I see *L*

japo2336 07-16-2007 09:32 PM

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about installing an intercooler, or getting slots put into the hood for improved air circulation through the engine compartment. The slots will not open forward like a super charger. They will open on the windshield side, and small. Six inches wide, and raised one half inch.

smaglik 07-16-2007 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

^ Taking the easy way out I see *L*
path of least resistance. i am moving to arizona next month from indiana, but i will be in flagstaff...not too worried about it :)