Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   How does the Oil Life gauge work? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/how-does-oil-life-gauge-work-21106/)

Septimus Prime 10-06-2008 05:03 PM

How does the Oil Life gauge work?

Does it actually have sensors, or does it just go off your mileage?

The reason I ask is because, the first time I changed my oil, the gauge was at 70%, and then after the oil change, it remained there.

The next time, it was at 40%, and I accidentally used 5w-30 instead of 5w-20, but it jumped up to 100% again.

I'm probably going to do oil changes on mileage, so it doesn't really matter to me, but I'm curious.

smaglik 10-14-2008 01:20 PM

RE: How does the Oil Life gauge work?

do you own a honda? if so, what type?

Septimus Prime 10-15-2008 12:24 PM

I have an 08 Accord coupe EX. I thought only Honda had that gauge.

smaglik 10-15-2008 12:37 PM

BMW does something similar, as well as other manufacturers. It would do you well to put your vehicle information in your signature.

in my 07, i have to reset it after completing a service. i would guess it goes off of the amount of gas used, the mileage varies based upon driving conditions.

JimBlake 10-15-2008 04:31 PM

I believe its a complicated counter that keeps track of starts, cold-starts, time, total revolutions, probably weighted by temperature,how much throttle, etc...

Several companies are doing that. Saab starteddoing thatin 2003.

smaglik 10-15-2008 04:44 PM

you think it's that complicated Jim? I would be surprised.

falkore24 10-15-2008 04:44 PM

Magic!!!

WheelBrokerAng 10-15-2008 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: smaglik

BMW does something similar, as well as other manufacturers. It would do you well to put your vehicle information in your signature.

in my 07, i have to reset it after completing a service. i would guess it goes off of the amount of gas used, the mileage varies based upon driving conditions.

** Thanks Ed for reminding the Member to put his info about hais car in his signature..All of the members who ask questions about their cars should do that..**

Thank You :)

WheelBrokerAng [sm=pimp.gif]

JimBlake 10-16-2008 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: smaglik

you think it's that complicated Jim? I would be surprised.
Saab & then GM is like that. I would be surprised if Honda was far behind.
You DO have to reset it, in both cases. Septimus primes story sounds like he didnt reset it after his first oil change, but DID reset it after the second??

I dont believe Honda or Saab/GM use actual sensors on the oil itself. But Ive heard that VW is doing that.

smaglik 10-16-2008 09:03 AM

i guess that's not too surprising. it would probably aid them in denying warranty claims.

two of my vehicles have little more than an engine computer on them. its refreshing.