Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   How to tell if you need a oil change? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/how-tell-if-you-need-oil-change-15755/)

pham9006 01-28-2008 07:03 PM

How to tell if you need a oil change?

i know this may be a stupid question but
i know you need to get an oil change every 3000 miles but i lost track. Are any of my accord's icons going to appear when i need a oil change or should i just do it now, becuase i have a gut feeling that it has been more than 3000 miles already.

live2rice 01-28-2008 07:54 PM

RE: How to tell if you need a oil change?

you know its time to change your oil when you cant remember the last time you changed your oil.

the mantience "light" is set to go off every once and a while based on mileage, but if it wasnt reset the last time then it wont really do you any good.

j_man_honda 01-28-2008 08:18 PM

Yeh just go get it changed now and keep track of it. No need to wait...

pham9006 01-28-2008 08:19 PM

so when i do my oil change, how can i do the reset?

j_man_honda 01-28-2008 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: pham9006

so when i do my oil change, how can i do the reset?
Every 3000 miles... Just make a note of the mileage when you get it changed and after another 3000 miles, change it again:eek:

Nova 01-28-2008 11:16 PM

I don't know if this applies on gas engines, but a diesel mechanic (worked for my dad, but used to be part of a Top Fuel team) said if you can see bubbles in the oil, you're at least twice over due.

KevinAccord 01-29-2008 01:38 PM

the oil is fine until it starts to loose it's viscosity, if it feels more like water than oil, it time... (my dad's friend is an oil expert and he told me that; in fact, the also taught me that syntetic oil can be used for at least 25k or more... it's just not used because of the engine's deterioration and that esmeril could be in the oil and damage more things...)

falkore24 01-29-2008 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Nova

I don't know if this applies on gas engines, but a diesel mechanic (worked for my dad, but used to be part of a Top Fuel team) said if you can see bubbles in the oil, you're at least twice over due.
If you have foam in your oil you need a new head gasket because there's coolant getting in there. I'm with L2R on the concept that if you can't remember the last change, you're due. For 15 bucks do you really want to risk your engine? Even 50 bucks for a good quality change!

If your memory isn't that good, go to a gas station and ask for an oil change sticker for your windshield and write down when you need it done again.

marbro 01-29-2008 04:08 PM

or...... you can skip a step.... sell your car.... and take the city bus. Then you wont have to worry about gas or an oil change or anything involvedwith owning a vehicle ^_^ think of the money you will save ^_-

falkore24 01-29-2008 04:26 PM

dude, the bus cost me $198 a month!!! the train from the same park and ride cost around $230 and the schedule $uck$. Plus I need my car. Luckily, the bus cuts me down to about 15-20 miles a day during the week (it was 10 miles before they moved the P&R in case anyone's wondering due to old posts)