Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Im Doing The H22 Swap - any pointer? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/im-doing-h22-swap-any-pointer-22800/)

MrGmo 01-07-2009 12:57 PM

Im Doing The H22 Swap - any pointer?

So ive made up my mind yesterday, im gonna go ahead and do the H22 swap on my 01 coupe. i called the place where i get my tranny's and motors (JDM) imports.... and they said they have a complete front clip... now i think that means its like the front half of a car with everything still mounted... anyways its 2500$... and its the black top H22...

whats the diff between the black and red top... or is it just that... black and red? lol

in another note... is this an easy swap on a 01 i heard somewhere that id need to change back to obd1 from my obd2 but i think they sell harness converters on ebay for cheap.

anyways any help would be appreciated.

live2rice 01-07-2009 01:03 PM

RE: Im Doing The H22 Swap - any pointer?

Usually the black top is just the H22A rated for 200hp. The redtop is normally the H22 type s rated for 220hp. But there are always exceptions, and i'm not sure about the european market.

It is pretty easy. You dont have to swap back to OBD1, just makes life alot easier if you do. You would either have to find a OBD2 JDM H22 ECU or a 96 prelude ECU(only 96 no other year would work).

However I do notice you live in Cali, which with OBD1 you would never pass inspection, and I think when you do a motor swap you have to go to some place and get it all approved or something.

MrGmo 01-07-2009 01:09 PM

i do live in cali... and ummmm... i kinda know this guy... and he'll pass my smog for 50 bux lol

CDelgado 01-10-2009 01:01 AM

Well the H22A with 200 hp is OBD2 , but there's another that has 190hp which is OBD1. The type s is OBD2 &a great buy if you got the $$. The european market's similar engineis called the Euro-R H22A which is the same as the JDM type S. OBD2ECU began to be used in late5th gens, 96 and up.
On the smog note: You have an OBD2 so passing shouldn't be an issue as long as you find a compatible OBD2 H22A.....And I think it's easier to just use your original harness and someone who knows how to do the conversion. I'm looking intothat myself since I plan to go with theH22A for my 5th genCE1 or Type S, if the price is right.

live2rice 01-10-2009 01:24 AM

Type-s is a waste of money, a few grand more for 20 more hp, when you could easily just buy bolt ons for that money and make more than 20hp.

And I believe in Cali to legitimately pass inspection you have to have the same year engine.

CDelgado 01-11-2009 03:12 AM

ORIGINAL: live2riceType-s is a waste of money, a few grand more for 20 more hp, when you could easily just buy bolt ons for that money and make more than 20hp.
You're right.Good point.But like I said if the price is right.
Just for kix-I might be the only one in US with Type S ;).
Most likely I'll stick withOBD2 H22A for my CE1.

live2rice 01-11-2009 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: CDelgado

ORIGINAL: live2riceType-s is a waste of money, a few grand more for 20 more hp, when you could easily just buy bolt ons for that money and make more than 20hp.
You're right.Good point.But like I said if the price is right.
Just for kix-I might be the only one in US with Type S ;).
Most likely I'll stick withOBD2 H22A for my CE1.
Nah I personally know someone with one, and i'm sure there is others.