Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   i'm dumb (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/im-dumb-10917/)

jessekeels 07-12-2007 10:14 AM

i'm dumb

ok so ileft my key in my car (on battery power) for a few hours a little while ago and when i realized how dumb i was i tried to start it up and it halfway turned over and all my electronics came on. i waited a few hours and the next day it started right up. well i made the same mistake agian but this time i did it overnight. and now my electronics and stuff wont even come on even after a bout an hour wiat. does anybody know whtas going on or why it started up before?

jessekeels 07-12-2007 10:15 AM

RE: i'm dumb

this is a 91 honda accord AT by the way.

tkundert2 07-12-2007 10:24 AM

Sounds like you ran your battery down. Charge it up or jump it.

jessekeels 07-12-2007 10:33 AM

ok i'll try it, if i jump it will it be good for a while or will it only run for a while, and by charge do you mean wait and let the alternator do it or like put it on a charger. i dont really know much about car electroncis, sorry.

00AccordLX5spd 07-12-2007 10:36 AM

The reason it cranked the first time is: sometimes the battery will "recharge" itself a little bit - just enough to get the car cranked - if it has not been run all the way down. The second time the battery totally drained.
As long as you leave it running for a while it should be ok.
Take it to AutoZone though and they will test the battery for free and let you know if you need to hook up a charger to it. They will probably charge it for free too;)

live2rice 07-12-2007 10:37 AM

if you jump it and then drive on the highway for a while it should recharge it. or you could charge it with a battery charger.

tkundert2 07-12-2007 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: jessekeels

ok i'll try it, if i jump it will it be good for a while or will it only run for a while, and by charge do you mean wait and let the alternator do it or like put it on a charger. i dont really know much about car electroncis, sorry.
If you are not familiar with car batteries, be careful when jumpstartingas if you hook it up wrong the battery can explode.Should be something in the owner's manual about how to do it right.

JimBlake 07-12-2007 04:00 PM

When you run it way down, it does a little damage to the battery. Do it again & it adds up. Especially if the water level in the cells was low...

It's possible that the second time you ran it down far enough so your battery's bad now. Testing at AutoZone or someplace can tell you what's up.

RTexasF 07-12-2007 05:46 PM

Not to mention leaving your key in the ignition can result in NO car.

jessekeels 07-12-2007 10:57 PM

yeah i decided to go ahead and replace the battery. my dad tested it with his tester and it was dead. the battery was old and needed to be swapped soon anyway.