Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   JDM Engines (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/jdm-engines-8578/)

existentialexit 03-31-2007 05:36 PM

JDM Engines

Hello. I have a 1993 Accord EX, 5-speed, all stock. I'm the second owner but the one before me was good to it-- regular maintenance, oil changes every 3k miles, non-aggressive/intensive driving... etc. The body, despite enduring 14 salt-filled Jersey winters, is in pretty good shape (save for that usual Honda rust near the back fender). The engine, however, is a concern of mine. It's partly because of the mileage, I just hit 293k today actually. Ever since I got this car around 11k ago, I've been thinking of replacing the engine and transmission with an aftermarket one, most likely the JDM H22a. I haven't been sure how to go about it though. I've looked at a few engine-and-transmission auctions on eBay but I don't really know enough about engines to tell whether or not I'd be getting burned. I'm only 18 and kind of a broke-ass, I'd like for this car to last me through college if it makes it because I see myself not being able to afford another one at pretty much any time during the next five years. Any insight you guys have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

live2rice 03-31-2007 06:24 PM

RE: JDM Engines

i've never been sure about buying engines on ebay. there are quite a few online retailers, like www.passwordjdm.com that have a pretty good rep. But if i were you i would try to find a prelude that got in a accident and the owner is junking that way you know exactly how many miles are on it, and you know that it runs. most online places dont say much for details other then 30-50k miles and it has been compression and leak tested.

LinX 04-03-2007 12:41 AM

Listen the first thing you need to do is become a member of cb7tuner.com
They have all the info for your ride. Take it from me, you'll be glad you did.

03Sleeper 04-03-2007 01:51 AM

@live2rice

umm...you can't import JDM engines into the US without a DoT or SAE investigation....right?

LinX 04-03-2007 03:35 AM

Do you mean import personally? You can buy a motor straight from japan and have it here in the US. You'd have to make sure it passes smog though and for some states like where I live (CA) there is BAR exam which is even tougher. They are the authority when it comes to legal swaps.

03Sleeper 04-03-2007 12:56 PM

Yeah but the DoT and SAE are a real pain in the a$$

Shadow1992 04-03-2007 02:49 PM

Definitely check out www.cb7tuner.com HAF is a great site, I love it, but cb7 is specific only to the 4 gen accords, so it's info base is more complete for specific work you need to do to your car.