Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   JET ecu upgrade (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/jet-ecu-upgrade-11752/)

frankBullitt 08-13-2007 07:21 PM

JET ecu upgrade

Hey whats up everyone,

My name is Jason and i own a 2004 Honda Accord EX coupe 4cyl five speed auto.

I am looking to do an intake and possibly an ECU upgrade to give the engine a little more kick. i dont plan on doing any street racing or anything stupid, just want to give it a little more power for merging into traffic, etc. my plan is to use an Injen SRI and the JET upgrade #65001. my question is this: has anyone ever used this JET upgrade before, and if so what are some pros and cons? i have found very little user reviews of this product aside from those on the JET website, which claim that this upgrade can do everything except cure cancer. any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

00AccordLX5spd 08-13-2007 10:59 PM

RE: JET ecu upgrade

I have not seen any dyno results, but one guy on the 6thgenaccord website did the JET ecu upgrade on an auto and he said he thought it produced some pretty noticeable gains.
One con I know of: you have to use premium gas after you do the upgrade.
I'll try to find his thread on the 6thgen website to see if I can pick out anything in specific.

RTexasF 08-14-2007 09:01 AM

In the past I have used JET to upgrade GM cars/trucks. It was a matter of removing one PROM chipand replacing it with another, the results were exemplary. That was many years back but I have heard some unfavorable things about JET since althoughI don't know them to be fact. Pulling the entire ECM to send them for upgrade is a lot of work and hassle, not mention being without a car. Do some serious checking prior to undertaking the task. Pehaps they could supply some customers with the same ride that have had the work done.

00AccordLX5spd 08-14-2007 09:25 AM

Yes pulling the entire ECM is also a con. However, the guy on the 6th gen website said once he mailed it to JET (overnight mail)it was returned to him within a few days (also via overnight mail.) But you do have to go those few days without the use of your car.

frankBullitt 08-14-2007 02:28 PM

thanks for the input guys,

thatsthe problem, ive heard good things from people who have used them on domestic cars and trucks, but no one i know has ever used them on a honda. plus it bothers me that ONLY jet seems to have a real ecu upgrade for this car.
i agree that the hassle of sending away the ECU is a big problem, but i suppose i could just rent a car for a day or two or just bum some rides. my main concern would be the chip upgrade causing engine problems later on, regardless of whether the car is still in warranty or not.
if there are any other kind of ecu upgrades available, please let me know. the JET one is all ive come across so far.

thanks again

Velocifero 08-14-2007 08:45 PM

the whole JET ecu "upgrade" is debatable, but how they work, from a friend who has one is, you send them a list of your mods and they try to best match the fuel mapping for it. it isnt nearly as exact or precise as a true dyno tune, for obvious reasons. i personally wouldnt waste my time on half-assed-shooting-in-the-dark tuning such as that. i'd be afraid it would mess something up as well as make my gas mileage worse.

stevent 08-14-2007 08:59 PM

well unichip developed one for the 6th gens, but I dont know about the 7th gens.
here's their website http://www.unichip.us/index.asp

03Sleeper 08-14-2007 10:49 PM

It would make sense that the ECU upgrade would be after your turbo, etc...you can deceive, trick, fool the computer into squeezing out additional hp/torque just because it thinks there's more than there really is.

frankBullitt 08-15-2007 09:36 AM

cool thanks for the info,

i think the more i read about this, the less i want to mess with it. after some late night digging, i found a site that had both good and bad reviews of JET. the good ones were people with older imports, Acura Legend, older Maxima, etc. one person used it on their TSX and said it made absolutely no difference whatsoever. the rest were on Silverado's and F-150's.

i think ill just stay away from JET and figure out something else to do.

thanks again