Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   K24A4 AT -> J30A4 6-speed MT (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/k24a4-j30a4-6-speed-mt-25554/)

ghostryderb 05-23-2009 10:44 AM

K24A4 AT -> J30A4 6-speed MT

Being the guy that I am... once I bought my 2004 Accord EX 4dr K24A4 AT... I started doing some visual enhancement to it. Soon after, I wanted more power... I started looking and researching what I found to be a possibility... the K24A4 / K20A2 "Frankenstein" motor. Then I started looking at a JDM K20A complete swap... I've since given up on these ideas on the recommendation of a trusted "gear-head" friend of mine who told me that if I'm looking for some straight Honda power... just get the J30A4 and swap the transmission for the 6-speed MT.

I'm wanting to get into the 270-300 horsepower area... and my buddy said this should be easily attainable with the new 6 cyl engine, a high compression piston swap, and a port/polish of the cylinder head.

What I'm really looking for in posting this is anyone out there with suggestions, comments, and words of wisdom... But most of all... I'd love to find someone out there who has actually done it... That would be the best find of all.

I'm sick of sitting around wondering what to do and just want to get to it already. I just need information, and guidance.

Please help.

live2rice 05-23-2009 11:24 AM

Well I personally think you are going about it the wrong way(being a K series fan myself). Usually with the V6 accords the motor mounts are different/in different locations so its not an easy task to swap from the 4cyl to the 6cyl even if its from the same year accord. I know in the 94-97 the V6s actually have a bigger engine bay to accommodate it, not sure if this is the case with the 7th Gens.

What I would personally do to make decent more power:
TSX pistons/rods(accord pistons will hit k20 head)
K20a2/k24a2 head
TSX 6spd transmission.

for more power:
after market rods/pistons
k20a2/k24a2 head
TSX 6spd transmission

Even more power:
after market rods/pistons
K20a2/K24a2 head
JR super charger
TSX 6spd transmission.

ghostryderb 05-24-2009 11:22 AM

Well I'm not saying that my decision was final at all... infact, while I've seen my buddy some AMAZING work to cars of his as well as others, he has never owned a Honda... much less souped one up. I'm mainly looking for people with information for me so I can make a well rounded, educated, informed decision.

I called a local, well known, custom car shop yesterday and asked about how much they thought it would cost... parts, labor, etc to install just the v-6 and tranny with no upgrades... their answer was "about 10,000 dollars". F*CK THAT!.... and now I'm back to thinking about this "frankenstein" concept again.

Live2Rice... how much power do you think I could gain from using your "more power"...after market rods/pistons, k20a2/k24a2 head, TSX 6spd transmission idea?

Also... I want to look at Hondata K-PRO options for possible boost applications. I'm not a gear head... so forgive me if I sound like an idiot when I ask this... but when I change to the K20A2/K24A2 head... does my ECU change? Do I still run the original that's in my car? Since there is no K-PRO made for the K24A4, am I able to swap an ECU from a different motor and go from there? If so which one?

I'm also curious how much custom fabrication will there need to be to put these new parts in. Will the TSX transmission bolt right up to the motor? Will I need a custom shift linkage?... oh heck... is this going to cost $10,000 just like the other idea with the V-6 swap?

I'm basically trying to get an idea of what kind of wallet vacuum / headache this project is going to cause me... while I'm willing to put forth effort and finance the project, if it's going to cause me undue stress and unexpected problems, I'll leave the car as strictly a show car and leave all the internals alone.

I really would like to put some "Oomph!" behind my car, tho. It'd be nice.

Keep the feedback coming please.

live2rice 05-24-2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghostryderb (Post 172627)

Live2Rice... how much power do you think I could gain from using your "more power"...after market rods/pistons, k20a2/k24a2 head, TSX 6spd transmission idea?

Also... I want to look at Hondata K-PRO options for possible boost applications. I'm not a gear head... so forgive me if I sound like an idiot when I ask this... but when I change to the K20A2/K24A2 head... does my ECU change? Do I still run the original that's in my car? Since there is no K-PRO made for the K24A4, am I able to swap an ECU from a different motor and go from there? If so which one?

I'm also curious how much custom fabrication will there need to be to put these new parts in. Will the TSX transmission bolt right up to the motor? Will I need a custom shift linkage?... oh heck... is this going to cost $10,000 just like the other idea with the V-6 swap?

If you were running somewhat high compression pistons(10 or 11:1) and a mild cam shaft and a few bolt ons I would expect about 250whp and over 200wtq. More than enough to get her moving. At least 13sec 1/4s.

As for the Kpro and with any sort of build on the K series you would have to get an RSX-S or Civic SI engine harness and ECU then run Kpro on that.

I know the TSX transmisison will bolt up, and the clutch and flywheel will even work I believe. I also believe the mount will work. As I am doing a Kswap into my 97 and the transmission mount accepts both the accord 5spd and TSX 6spd so I assume the mount is the same. You would need the linkage and shifter out of the TSX though.

It is by no means cheap................I will tell you that all day long, I doubt my build is even going to be done this year, and I will be in over 10k when its done, but i'm doing a full built motor and everything.

JimBlake 05-26-2009 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by live2rice (Post 172565)
... Usually with the V6 accords the motor mounts are different/in different locations so its not an easy task to swap from the 4cyl to the 6cyl even if its from the same year accord. I know in the 94-97 the V6s actually have a bigger engine bay to accommodate it, not sure if this is the case with the 7th Gens...

I think those problems are only for 95-97 V-6 cars. I used to have a 98 & I'm quite sure the engine bay is the same for that (6th-gen) In fact, there were another set of bolt holes in the subframe where you would install the V-6 engine mounts. But for 98-02 the 4-cyl spins opposite, so it's a somewhat big job.

Looks like my 2003 also has places for V-6 engine mounts & stuff. For 7th-gen it seems like 4-cyl to V-6 swap is easier than it was in earlier Accords. Not saying it's exactly cheap...

03Sleeper 06-01-2009 01:17 PM

Wait, are you doing a K-franken swap or the J swap...I would boost the heck outta the K block...just to see if it lives up to its ancestors, B/H. But then again, NA is my kinda game.