Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Low idle (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/low-idle-14677/)

ohsmustangs09 12-13-2007 04:37 PM

Low idle

My car idles lower than 500 rpm...Why is this ? shouldnt it be around 750 at least ? thanks

finch13 12-13-2007 04:47 PM

RE: Low idle

Yes, the normal idle is 750. Are you sure you're reading the tach correctly? I made the mistake of thinking I was idling at 500 RPMs once. The needle should point at the first tick mark under 1 on the gauge. If thats not the case, there is an idle adjustment screw somewhere. Anyone else care to point it out?

ohsmustangs09 12-13-2007 04:51 PM

Im 100% sure it idles lower than the 2nd tick (500) mark...And does that have anything to do with the fact that when i take my foot off the throttle it seems to drop speed fairly fast ??

finch13 12-13-2007 04:59 PM

When you take your foot off do you mean, say, you're driving the speed limit and it slows down fast after taking your foot off or when it's in park. I don't think the issues are related and it may slow down faster depending on what gear it's in and what the TCM is calculating for the tranny.

ohsmustangs09 12-13-2007 05:05 PM

lol. when im driving the speed limit..obviously when its in park its gunna do that, but im saying when im actually driving..i wasnt sure if that was related to the low idle or not...but w/e... and, finch13, when i stalled my AEM sri, i had two lines that arent attached to anything..what should i do with them ???

So does anyone know where the idle adjusment screw is ??

finch13 12-13-2007 05:11 PM

When I am driving between 35 - 50 MPH if I take my foot off the gas my RPMs will drop (fast) down to about 1k and then jump up to 1700. It's a new issue, but not really a problem.

As for the SRI, are you talking about the two vacuum lines that came with the intake? You're supposed to replace one of the water hoses going to the throttle body, but I didn't feel like monkeying with that so I left it. Basically, it's just in case the old hose is worn. The other (smaller) hose should be connected between the nipple on the intake and and metal vacuum hose. They line up to each other and the hose only needs to be cut to about 2" long. If this isn't connected at the moment it could explain your idle issue since the vacuum line isn't getting the right pressure.

If that doesn't work then I would try adjusting the idle screw. I'll go get my repair manual and find where it is. You have the 2.2L right?

ohsmustangs09 12-13-2007 05:20 PM

Not the hoses that came with the Intake, but when i took out my stock intake, there were two extra hoses that i had to disconnect from it and there is nowhere for them to be plugged into on the new AEM sri....i connected only one line to the AEM sri, and its the one that was closest to the nipple on the AEM sri, i needed about a 2" hose, but i just used the one that came with the AEM sri, and that hose IS connected, just the other TWO arent...

Yea I do...THANKS!

finch13 12-13-2007 05:31 PM

I have a pretty good feeling that if you don't have the vacuum hoses connected your idle will be off. I had an odd idle when my car was running with the intake completely removed.

If that still doesn't fix it this is what Chilton's says for adjusting the idle speed:

1. Start engine and warm up to normal operating temperature; cooling fan will come on twice.
2. On 1988-1995 vehicles, unplug the Electronic Air Control Valve (EACV) connector. (It's nestled between the intake manifold and the fuel rail, on the right side of the hose connecting the valve cover to the intake manifold. The connector is on the right side of the EACV and is round in appearance.)
3. With all accessories OFF, check the idle speed. Turn the idle adjust screw to adjust the idle. (This is located on the throttle body right above where your intake connects to it. It's on the left side of a hose.)
4. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
5. Engage the EACV connector , then remove either the CLOCK or BACK UP fuse under the hood for 10 seconds to reset the ECU.
6. Check the idle speed with the an on HI and the A/C on. Idle speed should be between 700-800 RPM

finch13 12-13-2007 05:32 PM

That's odd because we have the same engine and intake but I don't remember disconnecting 2 extra hoses. I'll take a look after dinner.

ohsmustangs09 12-13-2007 05:40 PM

Thanks man..and the one of the hoses is right above the one i connected to the SRI, and i just checked and its metal and connected to two other metal lines..and the other is above and back from the throttle body, and its a very long rubber hose...

But i will check the idle and let you know how it goes...thanks!