Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Low speed miss (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/low-speed-miss-24181/)

David W 03-16-2009 12:52 PM

Low speed miss

Hello, new here, hoping for some help. I have a 1994 Accord with 188,8++ miles on it. It was given to me by my son when he bought a new Acura TL. The check engine light came on, mechanic changed the 02 sensor and took it for a ride with his computer hooked up and said engine wasn't getting hot enough and to change thermostat, I did and now temperature is fine but in the interim between changing the thermostat, car is now missing, mostly under load like going up a hill and especially starting out or making a turn and it downshifts to low gear is when it will miss the most.
I had replaced plugs and wires 6,000 miles earlier. Since this started, I just (today) replaced the distributor cap but cannot get the phillips head screw out for the rotor and it is starting to strip the head.
Any thoughts as what could be causing this miss. My next step was to replace the fuel filter, as I bought one, but I don't think that would cause it to miss at low speed and a load.
One mechanic I know said the load miss is more voltage, and that could be causing it. But where?

This question is very similar to one just posted

draser 04-07-2009 06:34 PM

Is the engine light still on, and if yes what is the code? The replaced parts are OEM? Has the fuel filter been replaced before?

David W 04-08-2009 06:31 AM

Finally last week was able to take car to mechanic I know. Hooked his computer up to it and ran engine, o2 sensor was acting up (this was replaced before). Shut engine off and was going to look at spark plugs for fouling, but found oil on end of wires. The two plugs nearest the drivers side were filled with oil so that you couldn't see plugs. Cleaned wires and cleaned sockets out, took spark plugs out and cleaned them. Plugs were fine as far as not carboned. Re-installed, started engine and took for a ride, ran better but then a miss and his computer read that o2 sensor wasn't going in and out and reading higher volts then should.
Replaced o2 sensor again and engine ran fine, and is still running fine after a week of driving.
I replaced value cover gasket, 0 rings and top rubber washers, but did not have torgue wrench to tighten value cover, which should have been 190 in. lbs. Cover wasn't tight enough and let oil by-pass 0 rings to spart plugs. Value cover gasket had to be replaced also because of being oil soaked and would not fit properly.
As for replacing fuel filter, I bought one and COULD NOT GET AT IT TO REPLACE, mechanic tried it and had a very tough time getting at it also. You need to get two dilfferent size wrenches, one on fuel line and the other on filter, try doing that with one hand. What an awful place to put filter. Didn't replace and the cost for filter was $35.00 which I brought back to parts store.
If anyone has replacaed one on a 1994 Accord 2.2 L, let me know how you did it.
Motto, don't do what you think are simple tasks, as they lead up to headaches. he only charged me $150, he split the cost of the o2 sensor which is over a $100.

dsettlemoir 04-08-2009 09:09 AM

1990 Honda Accord EX Stalling

My car stalls randomly while driving. This can happen as slow as 20mph. For a few seconds it acts as if it is not getting enough gas. No engine light comes on. In order for it to fix itself, I either left off the gas for a moment or I hold the pedal to the floor.

I have replaced fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. Also, thinking it might be electrical related, I took apart and lithium greased each electric plug in engine compartment. Car ran fine for a few days. Now it is doing it again.

The tac does not do anything weird like I have read in other posts with similar problems. The tac simply stays steady until the engine decides to run normally again.