Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Megan Racing Short Shift Adapter (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/megan-racing-short-shift-adapter-9430/)

Nightbreeze 05-08-2007 04:34 AM

Megan Racing Short Shift Adapter

Hey, this is kinida random, but did anybody else run into trouble with a Megan Racing Shift adaptor? When I got mine, not only was it a pain to install, but it rubbed against the inside of my dashboard cover thingy whenever I tried to put the car into 5th or reverse. I eventually lathed it down at an angle to get it to stop rubbing, but it was really a pain. I know it didn't cost me much, but I kinda wish I would have bought a DC just to dodge all that work.

00AccordLX5spd 05-08-2007 12:48 PM

RE: Megan Racing Short Shift Adapter

Yeah. Mine rubs a little bit too. Also I had the following problem as outlined in my "short shift adapter install" thread:
The adapter is SUPPOSED TO FIT on the stock bolt that you just unhooked the cable from. My adapter's hole was not big enough. So I used some redneck enginuity and jammed a screwdriver in the hole and twisted it around for about 15 minutes to shave off enough metal to allow the d*** thing to fit over the stock bolt:D

(I couldn't get my thumbnail image to post here. If you want a picture go to my "short shift adapter install" thread)

I do not think I would have been happy over-paying for a DC adapter though. After realizing how the thing works, I could have made one myself!

Nightbreeze 05-08-2007 04:28 PM

Yeah, I had to enlargen that hole too, but I like tried to drill it out and that was pretty interesting. I should have tried the screwdriver method lol. Yeah, making a custom one sounds like a good plan haha, I wonder if you can get the throw even shorter by moving the linkage connection up even higher... ?

00AccordLX5spd 05-08-2007 06:03 PM

Yeah I thought about that. I know if I custom made one I would put it up even higher. But then I thought I would probably rather actually shorten my shift lever. If only I had a welder[:@]

Nightbreeze 05-08-2007 06:20 PM

Yeah man, I thought about that too. My buddy and I weld all the time, so my plan was to buy a new stock shifter and housing since they are like one unit, and then cut it sorter and weld it back together. I just never got around to it I guess though... I was going to get like a short length of pipe, and put the two cut halves of the shifter into either end of it, and then weld it back together on both sides of the pipe, because I think it would bend less and be stronger that way. I wanted to buy a new one to work on though, because in case I messed it up my car would still be drivable lol. If I do it, I'll tell you how it goes...

00AccordLX5spd 05-08-2007 06:57 PM

Sounds like a plan! I think that would be a good way to do it to maintain the integrity of the lever. You ought to check junkyards & such and see if you can find a shifter & housing out of a wrecked accord.

Nightbreeze 05-08-2007 07:29 PM

Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking. I was really bummed out that nobody manufactures a shorter stick for Accords, at least not for my year. I think that it might be because the ball joint of the stick itself is pretty much stuck into the plastic housing. The performance companies would have to make that whole plastic thingy, and I thiink they're just too lazy lol. But yeah, now you brought it back up again, it's fresh in my mind, so I'll see if I can pull it off lol.

00AccordLX5spd 05-08-2007 07:42 PM

This is courtesy of sir_nasty:
http://www.1motormart.com/parts/1/19...rt+Shifter+Kit
Looks like it is the whole shebang for under $100.

Nightbreeze 05-09-2007 12:18 AM

Yeah, I saw that setup a while back, but I was always skeptical that it was still just a little adapter part. I think that when the add is saying "CNC Steel Billet Handles, CNC Machined Billet 6061 T6 Aluminum Adapters" that it is referring to two separate parts. I'm not entirely sure what the "handles" are that the add refers to, but if you check out Neuspeed's website, they only show an adapter as being for sale, and it's about the same price. Here's the link: http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_details.asp?app=15|AC&type=3&ltype=ns_impo rt&p_id=920 I dunno, I couldn't find like a full setup on Neuspeed's site, and also the picture depicted in the add isn't an accord stick because it isn't bent correctly if you know what I mean, and it doesn't have the bolts in the correct places to mate with the linkage correctly. I dunno, I think I'm still going to try to re-weld that stock stick so I can get a really short stick lol. Thanks though for the enthusiasm on this topic, I'm sorry if I sound mad or anything, I'm not trying to be mean or anything lol. I'm just being extra investigatory... Thanks again for all your input man, the quest for the short shift goes on!!!

P.S. That link doesn't want to work correctly so try posting it into your browser. The "|" thingy in it is messing up the forum autolink script.

00AccordLX5spd 05-09-2007 08:45 AM

Those were my thoughts exactly about the Neuspeed one I linked. When I bought my Megan Racing adapter, it was advertised as a "short throw shifter." I felt duped because the one for a 93-97 model said it was the adapter only, but "adapter" was not specified on the one I bought. I have a long rant on my "short throw shifter disappointment" thread. All in all, I emailed the web site that sold me my adapter and they changed the description of the product that day to indicate it was an adapter only. I don't think you sound mad or anything. I think we are of the same thoughts on this. Maybe some day someone will make a frickin true short shifter. I mean...it can't be that hard if we are thinking up ways to do it ourselves!