Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   mobil is honda's oil (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/mobil-hondas-oil-9278/)

accord4sroy 05-01-2007 02:58 AM

mobil is honda's oil

so, honda now uses mobil oil is what the dealers and many people say. anyone know if this is true? and does anybody believe that they really put synthetic in when they say they do (and when you ask)?

there are a couple of oil change options at my dealer (sometimes they can be a little shady, but i think most of their shadiness was when they had different service advisors). one option is just the regular oil change, and then the oil change with bg moa stuff. and then there is the synthetic with the moa stuff.

any thoughts or suggestions are highly appreciated.

jombolo 05-01-2007 04:58 AM

RE: mobil is honda's oil

Just do your own oil changes. Cheaper plus you know whats going in your car. And it takes 20 minutes.

ckebottle 05-01-2007 05:29 AM

I agree, just do it yourself and you know exactly what is being used and that it is actually being done.

RTexasF 05-01-2007 08:40 AM

The brand of bulk oil will vary by dealership. Some use Mobil, some use Honda, others use something else. If you think you're not getting synthetic tell them you want to watch it being poured in. The BG product seems to be standard at many Acura & Honda dealers. Is it worth it? Got me by the short hairs, I don't know!I also change my own oil and see no need for additives when using Mobil 1.

jombolo 05-01-2007 02:54 PM

i usually use mobil 1 also, i just don't like that, because of how much thinner it is than regular oil, it burns a bit quicker so i have to keep closer tabs on it.

incountry 05-01-2007 03:11 PM

I used to work as a parts person at a couple of Honda dealers where we used bg products, bg moa is a great product I use it about every 10 to 20,000 miles and I have over 385,000 miles on my honda. I don't care for the flush they use, since if you have any build-up it could come loose and you know what happens then.The other product bg makes that I like is the 44k gas additive, Both of these products are a little more expensive but well worth my money

RogerB34 05-01-2007 09:14 PM

Use API rated SM or M oils.
Back of container. Has nothing to do with maker.
Meets the latest American Petroleum Industry standards.
M formulated for sludge problems.
Will have the API starburst front of container.
Weight as specified or preference (esp high mileage engines)
Energy efficient starburst rear of container if up to 30 wt.
Best buy I've seen is Wal Mart 5 qt containers.
Motorcraft 5W - 20 for 05 V6 syn blend around $10.50.

accord4sroy 05-02-2007 03:58 AM

sj is what they recommend, however they change those api ratings each year. doing it yourself is always nice (oil changes), but you can always tell the better business bureau if honda is screwing up. i would rather tell them that my engine seized or something rather than me being at fault. thanks for all the suggestions guys.

KevinAccord 05-04-2007 03:42 PM

I use Mobil 1....Honda dealers use that oil and it's working great for me.... And you should change your own oil....not when black, but when the bizcosity is lost....that's when the oil needs to be changed, when it's getting water-like. I use 5w-30 on my 111,145mile accord.
Hope this is helpful!

RTexasF 05-04-2007 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: accord4sroy

sj is what they recommend, however they change those api ratings each year.
Just to make sure you understand....SJ was the API standard when your car was built. As mentioned previously SM is now the current standard and retrofits previous models.