Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   MPG (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/mpg-5963/)

dream34 11-15-2006 06:35 PM

MPG

I just got an auto 96 Accord, and first thing I did was filled it up, after I drove to completely to E I filled it up to figure out the MPG I'm getting. It was only 18 mpg, and I was expecting much more. It was mostly city but some highway, and I'm actually a pretty good driver when it comes to saving gas (anticipating stops, not flooring it, coasting, etc). Do you guys think I need a tune up or that it's exactly what I should be expecting?

sir_nasty 11-15-2006 06:51 PM

RE: MPG

that seems low.... I've got a 94 ex with the 2.2L Vtec and I get 26-28 (manual 5 speed), check your basics, air filter, spark plugs, wires, oil etc and make sure those items are in good working order, you could also run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through there and some sea foam (search the forum if you haven't heard about it) wouldn't hurt either.... so there's some options!

YeuEmMaiMai 11-15-2006 07:03 PM

i had a 94 that got 25-26 around town and 34 HWY. unless you are jack rabbit start all the time, something is wrong

t-stat?
o2 sensor?
leaky injector(s)
TQ converter not locking up? (should in 3rd and 4th if you are auto)

wrote down wrong starting milage?

poser_pilot6 11-15-2006 08:41 PM

I usually get 22-24 mpg in my car, but I drive 98% of my miles in town, and I kinda drive like an A-hole most of the time. Last time I took it cross country I averaged 27.3, doing 85 most of the trip (2200 miles or so). But Im sure my engine could use some tuning also.

accordfan222 11-15-2006 10:44 PM

I have 97 accord (4 cylinder) with 185000 miles and gives about 26 to 27 miles a gallon. Driving city and Highway mix. I have question about what is this about torque convertor locking up??. Lets say if you drive around 70 mph on highway what RPM should be there?? My car is running about 3000 rpm when I am cruising at 70 MPH. Is this OK or this is too much. Most of the car I had V6 motors inthem so I can not Judge it with Accord.

YeuEmMaiMai 11-19-2006 08:04 PM

i am pretty sure that if everything is working as it should you should be at 2800K on the tach.

is your tstat working? If it is stuck partially open ECU will not think car has warmed up and TQ converter will not lock up and you may still get heat. Usually if the converter fails to lock up due to a trans problem you get a cel saying TQ converter circuit malfunction.

poser_pilot6 11-24-2006 08:22 PM

What if you have a manual transmission and your T-stat is stuck partially open? I guess I just really dont know what role the T-stat serves for the car.

Also, are the stock spark plug wires the best ones for an Accord, or is there an aftermarket company that makes a better set?

tom15425 11-25-2006 04:59 AM

NGK plugs seem to be the general consensus as to the best plugs for accords.

Slusher 11-25-2006 05:29 AM

A simple way to look at a t-stat would be to think of it as a dam that is heat activated and will open when needed. Basically your engine needs to warm up to a certain range to run optimaly. Your t-stat will stay closed until the proper temp is reached in the coolant and then it will open; letting the hot coolant travel to the radiator and cooler coolant in to circulate around the block and keep it cool. Thats kind of it in a nut shell.

poser_pilot6 11-25-2006 03:56 PM

Yeah I bought NGK plugs yesterday at Advance Auto. I got the G-Power platinum, the ones they touted as OE were laser platinum something-or-others, $9.98 each. Thats a little expensive for me, I got the $2.98s lol. And I got some Sea Foam to run through it, we'll see how that goes too.

I was just wondering about the wires though, because I replaced them about 20k miles ago with some "premium" wires, but then I have heard that maybe I should go back to stock, that the stockers actually perform better. Is that true?