Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Labored Starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Mid
Newest Of Newbies
Default Labored Starting

havent been on here in quite some time, which i guess is a good thing because i havent had any problems since i had the new engine put it.

but im back with a new troubling problem.

Accord Specs
2003 Honda accord 4 door sadan 4 CYL automatic with K24A4 motor.
got about 70k+ miles on the motor and 120k miles on the dash.

so i had the 50k mile motor put in around 101k miles. everything has been great since. been keeping up with oil changes and tune ups trans oil changes everything like a religion. hell every fill up i check the oil just to make sure lol.

but recently around 118-119k miles iv started noticing very labored start ups. very slow rotating and then with some luck a full turn over and then once its runn there are no problmes what so ever. no idel problems, no mis fires, no funny noises, nothing at all. very smooth like new driveing.

then i stop shut off the car and have to pray that it will start up again to get home. once i get back to the car and try to start it i get a few failed attemtps again with very labored cranking till it just stops turning and if im lucky it will crank enought to turn over and run.

iv had the battery checked and cleaned up. battery is good. took the car to dealer to see what they would say, they tested it (starter and alternator im guessing) everything check out great and they found no problmes. when i got the car back from the dealer tech i was very suprized when i went to start it because it sounded like it had a brand new starter! even the rep who moved the car said he had a very labored time starting it. so i left no questions.

now at around 121k miles im haveing the same problem. very labored starting to almost no start at all some times... im planning on takeing it back to the dealer again. but i really want to know more what i should be looking for as the cause of the problem so i dont have the dealer try and rip me a new one with parts i dont need at all. any and all help if greatly appreciated and a thank you all in advance =)

Old 02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Supper Moderator

check the power and ground to the starter. Make sure they are nice and tight

Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Take a good look at the cables themselves when you tighten them.

> Corrosion around where the cable-end-connector crimps onto the cable itself?

> I've occasionally seen corroded cable inside it's plastic insulation - the cable LOOKS OK but has high resistance internally. Do you have a multi-meter & know how to use it?