Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Need Engine Trouble Help: Timing Belt Woes, Please Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/need-engine-trouble-help-timing-belt-woes-please-help-2079/)

Brendo613 02-21-2006 11:43 AM

Need Engine Trouble Help: Timing Belt Woes, Please Help

Hi there :) My name is Brendan, and the '90 Accord EX with 172k miles and automatic transmission has been running great recently, especially since the oil pump and timing belt were replaced in mid-December. However, upon driving it a few days back I noticed a screeching sound under the hood ... I checked it out the next day, and noticed that, looking at the engine from the front of the car, there is what looks like a gear that popped through the engine casing on the drivers' side! I tried pushing it back in and starting the car again, but it still makes the screeching sound and the gear pops back out. Through logical thinking I think that the gear is the drive for the oil pump, and that it runs off of the timing belt. That would make sense, because the oil pump was replaced in December.

Is this engine gone for good, or will I be able to have this gear fixed? Is there any way I can prove that there was automotive malpractice? I would like to have it fixed so I can sell it and buy a bigger van, but I'd rather have it drivable so I can get more money out of it in a sale. It really is a good car.

Please help!

=Brendan

98accrd 02-21-2006 02:27 PM

RE: Need Engine Trouble Help: Timing Belt Woes, Please Help

Not sure what gear you are seeing, post a pic so we can help.

Brendo613 02-21-2006 05:09 PM

I don't have a digital camera picture to show of it. If I did have my camera working, though, it would be tough to get a good shot of it. Here is a general idea, though:

[IMG]local://upfiles/3054/7FC5AE10BE4A469881E8EDE591DA2FBC.gif[/IMG]

98accrd 02-21-2006 05:23 PM

Is it protrudding from the timing belt cover, the block? From your drawing it looks like its next to the power stering pump?

lightshow 02-21-2006 07:04 PM

yea you absolutely must get a picture for us to see....its possible that whoever did the work on your car did a bang up job and then yea your motor may be toast and you prolly wont be able to get them to pay for it. (thats why nobody touches my baby).

im almost thinking that your crankshaft pulley separated (harmonic balancer). does your powersteering belt look frayed? if this is your problem then for 60 - 80 bucks LKQ can get you a good used one. if its an actual gear though.......your prolly F ed....no gear should ever pop out of the drivers side. if its on the very top of the motor, its your cam gear.....if its down low towards the front of the car....then its the oil pump gear.....if its down low towards the back of the engine then its the balance shaft gear.. good luck i hope its just the crank pulley for your sake. let us know which shop did the work so we know to never ever ever go there.

Brendo613 02-23-2006 11:32 AM

Well, as of now I can't get any pictures, but your description helped me feel more confident in the problem being related to the oil pump drive. There is a cover over the gear which popped off, and it has a little nub on it showing that the gear is not meant to move from it's location, indicating that it is not a tensioner. I'll have to take this up with the dealer who "serviced" it :-\

Thanks for the help :)

=Brendan

lightshow 02-23-2006 07:26 PM

if that place cant get an oil pump on the first time....i wouldnt take it there. i would pony up the extra dough to get it done right. sometimes they will break more than they actually fix