Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   New guy, looking at 6th gen Accords,a couple questions. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/new-guy-looking-6th-gen-accords-couple-questions-13429/)

TorontoGuy 10-23-2007 08:20 PM

New guy, looking at 6th gen Accords,a couple questions.

What's up everybody, Ijust recently started to look at some newer cars, and on the list is the Accord, from 1998 through 2001, I'd most likely pick up a 2000-2001... More specifically I'm looking at the 4 Cylinder coupes, with the 5 speed trans. My biggest concern is highway driving as I do 120 kilometers a day on the highway.

Question 1 - Cabin noise, is it loud, quiet or moderate with the 4 cylinder motor? I'd just like to hear what you guys think about the quietness of the interior.

Question 2 - Cruising on the highway at around 65-75 Mph, where would I expect my RPM's to stay? Right now I drive a 92 VW Golf, the Accord would be replacing that as my second car, anyways, the Golf ranges from 3200 to 3600 RPM's doing 65-75, I hope the Accord is not like this because it makes highway driving a noisy affair.

That about all I can think of now, if you have anything that I must know about the cars, please do tell me, as all information is welcomed...

Cheers Everybody.

stevent 10-23-2007 09:51 PM

RE: New guy, looking at 6th gen Accords,a couple questions.

1) I dont think the noise would be that loud to even notice, it may be different since I have a v6 though.
2) The rpm should stay around 2.5k-3k

TorontoGuy 10-23-2007 09:54 PM

Perfect, thanks...

So there isn't much wind noise at all? That good to hear...

Tomorrow I will be driving a couple cars, see what they are like.

accord4sroy 10-23-2007 11:37 PM

On my 99 Accord EX the rpms at 75 mph are around 2500-2700. 80 mph is 3000 rpms. Wow, that sounds like a lot of rpms to me (on your Golf). The interior should be relatively quiet. I drive the 4 cylinder (EX model, thought I would state this since it might be different out in Toronto) and it is going to be noisier but its a good kind of noise (Hondas are high revving engines). I believe that they are geared to rev high and a lot of people on here say that that's where the power comes on in these engines.

Make sure you get quiet tires. I know that Michelin Energy MXV4's were my OEM tires, but anyways those haven't been on the car in a long time. Right now I got BF Goodrich Traction TA's and they are noisy. Its a great highway car! It will save you on gas.

ckebottle 10-24-2007 12:08 AM

For me about 2500-2900 rpms on an auto 4 cyl at 75mph. I personally think the car is noisey! The windows are paper thin and the 4 cylinder engine is pretty darn loud. My buddies v6 seems to be A LOT quiter. I drove my moms e420 a week ago on the commute I do and it was soo much more quiter....price you pay for a fuel efficient vehicle and reasonably cheap vehicle in terms of cost and maintenance.

As someone else stated, get a good pair of tires and it will quiet down the ride...I got some yokos and am really happy with them. Good luck on your search!

Thought i'd also add...I get about 32mpg 75% freeway at 70mph and 25% city slow/stop and go.

TorontoGuy 10-24-2007 06:58 AM

Good information, Thanks, I appreciate it.

As for my Golf, yes that transmission is definetly geared for city driving, but on the highway that's right where the power is on the little 80hp motor.

00AccordLX5spd 10-24-2007 09:12 AM

I don't think mine is too noisy. Of course my last two cars were 90's model 5.0 Mustangs so go figure. I guess my 4cyl is louder than the V6. As stated above, the level of noise also can be controlled by the tires.
I went on a long trip not too long ago and got 35mpg mostly highway driving at about 75mph. Mine does around 3k RPM's in the 75-80mph range.
Make sure you get a manual trans! Sedan FTW!

accord4sroy 10-24-2007 03:37 PM

What's FTW?

falkore24 10-24-2007 03:44 PM

For the win. 00 .... I kinda doubt that your 4-cyl is louder than my 6, but then again, neither of us have a stock intake.

00AccordLX5spd 10-24-2007 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

For the win. 00 .... I kinda doubt that your 4-cyl is louder than my 6, but then again, neither of us have a stock intake.
Of course not! You have exhaust and the whole shebang! If it was a stock i4 compared to the stockV6 though, I guarantee you the i4 is louder.