Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   New Guy - When to replace timing belt ??? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/new-guy-when-replace-timing-belt-846/)

billy bronco 08-04-2005 02:18 PM

New Guy - When to replace timing belt ???

Looking to buy 1992 Honda Accord EX, with 118K miles - when does the timing belt have to be replaced?
Is there a way to tell if it has been done if no records are available?
This is a 4 cyl if it breaks is the engine cooked?
I have replaced on a Mazda & Maxima, any big deal in doing the Honda, special tools or anything?
I'm going to look at the car on Saturday, what should I be aware of, things to check for?

Thanks so much in advance.

WheelBrokerAng 08-07-2005 09:27 PM

RE: New Guy - When to replace timing belt ???

Engine will break if you dont replace and you were due about 18,000 miles ago.

I would get with it and do it now before you get that problem.

Welcome to the forums

WheelBrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

billy bronco 08-08-2005 02:25 PM

So are you saying this is an interferance type engine?
How often have you heard of someones belt breaking?
I'm gonna drive it for a year and take my chances, crazy ????

dinzer 08-08-2005 11:20 PM

Dude, change your timing belt now, otherwise your looking at big bucks?
it's a sound investment to do this job now.

i changed mine at 120, the belt looked okay when it was done, but with belts you never know, the alternative aint pretty, i know this from first hand experience on a prevous vehicle a few years back, timing belt went and cost me my engine.

take the hit, especially if you have done the job yourself before on other cars

billy bronco 08-09-2005 11:48 AM

I need a bunch of info:
First I have no owners manual so I need to find a place on what weight oil, how much. Tire presures and all that stuff.
Is there a link on HOW to do timing belt?

dinzer 08-09-2005 08:44 PM

Billy,

go to pep boys or straus or wherever an invest a few dollars on the haynes manual for this vehicle, thats what i did for my 2000.
sound investment

it has step by step pictures and how to directions. the timing belt section is really well laid out and explained, you have to know what your doing re setting the timimg marks up correctly, if you dont you'll damage the engine.

if your at all unsure take it to a mechanic.

billy bronco 08-10-2005 01:08 PM

There has to be a better web site out there on these very popular Honda's where is it?

caliass 04-14-2008 11:42 PM

Billy,
Most front wheel drive cars are put together the same, I would recomend a repair manual (ebay for the cheap ones) and alot of sweat and grit. A timing belt is cheap to buy but heavy on the elbow grease. Just change it and feel good driving it for at least 60k before doing it again. Your going to have to lay out about $60 for the book and belt and a day or two to get it replaced. just grin and bear it.

Good luck!

Tech 04-15-2008 01:01 PM

Make sure to replace the water pump, cam seal, balancer shaft seal and oil pump o-ring while you're in there. It'd also be a good time to adjust the valves. I just did it the other day. Crank seals almost never leak and they're hard to install correctly so I just leave them alone.