Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   New Oil Pan Gasket - Slight Distortion? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/new-oil-pan-gasket-slight-distortion-14431/)

razcob 12-04-2007 05:04 PM

New Oil Pan Gasket - Slight Distortion?

I just replaced my oil pan gasket, 95 accord, 4cyl, auto and went by the recommended procedure:

cleaned surfaces, 3m spray adhesive on block and block side with a genuine Honda gasket (worked great),RTV High Temp on short sides and torqued to 10 foot lbs, from inside out. However, the rear side of gasket is slightly distorted. Kind of like jelly coming out the sides of a sandwich, but it isn't more than 1/8 of inch beyond the block and pan. Does this sound normal?

sir_nasty 12-04-2007 05:14 PM

RE: New Oil Pan Gasket - Slight Distortion?

I've seen it happen more than once, as long as the majority of it's still in there and it's making a good seal and doesn't continue to work it's way out I'd leave it.

94Honda 12-04-2007 07:40 PM

if u ever get worried just look at it every now and then and see if its leaking

nafango2 12-04-2007 11:21 PM

I just changed my oil pan gasket and it did the same thing, but I have a feeling my torque wrench reads a little low so i overtorqued the pan bolts. Not really sure, though.

deserthonda 12-05-2007 02:05 PM

you tightened the pan bolts too tight.. As long as it does not leak you should be ok,, just keep on eye on it

razcob 12-06-2007 05:50 AM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

you tightened the pan bolts too tight.. As long as it does not leak you should be ok,, just keep on eye on it
I used a torque wrench and set the bolts to 10 ft lbs.? Is this incorrect? What doyou recommend I do? I drove the car yesterday for approx. 5 miles and had no leak. Is this short ride too early to tell? By the way, the adhesive spray worked like a charm, I used a piece of cardboard to line the block, so I didn't get any in the engine. The longest/hardest part of the job was scraping off the old gasket from the pan. Are there any time saving methods of removing the old gasket?

nafango2 12-06-2007 05:39 PM

mine still doesnt leak, and its been a good 3k miles.

sir_nasty 12-06-2007 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: razcob

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

I used a torque wrench and set the bolts to 10 ft lbs.? Is this incorrect? What doyou recommend I do? I drove the car yesterday for approx. 5 miles and had no leak. Is this short ride too early to tell? By the way, the adhesive spray worked like a charm, I used a piece of cardboard to line the block, so I didn't get any in the engine. The longest/hardest part of the job was scraping off the old gasket from the pan. Are there any time saving methods of removing the old gasket?
A soft bristled wire brush, some WD-40 or a razor blade(carefull with this one....) all help get that off there, just be sure you don't gouge the surfaces

nafango2 12-06-2007 06:00 PM

i just used one of those flexible scrapers, took it right off.

razcob 12-06-2007 07:56 PM

I don't believe I have the bolts too tight because only the rear side of gasket is distorted and the front side is perfect.