Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   New power steering pump install (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/new-power-steering-pump-install-64244/)

'89 Accord LX 01-24-2017 08:37 PM

New power steering pump install

I'm new to this forum but i need some help. I just put a new power steering pump on my 1989 honda accord lx and now the reservoir is foamimg up a lot but i dont see any leaks. Can anyone tell me if I missed something or didn't do it right? Any help is appreciated greatly.

JimBlake 01-25-2017 11:35 AM

My experience is more into the later 1990's but here goes...

First, there's a screen down low in the fluid reservoir (submerged). If that's plugged with crud, it'll make the foaming that much worse.

There's no absolute way to bleed ALL the air out from the PS system. It's a long process, but here's what I've done to help it go faster:
- Lift front of car (solid support so it doesn't fall).
- Steer full-lock in both directions a couple times (moves the rack full-stroke).
- Start engine to circulate fluid, steer back & forth full-lock a couple times.
- Shut off & wait for foam to settle out in reservoir.
- Start engine & steer full-lock a few times then wait for it to settle.

Lifting the front of the car means the steering needs far less power and the pump doesn't have to work very hard while there's still foam in the system.

TexasHonda 01-25-2017 01:33 PM

On many Honda/Acura products there is a suction fitting attached to the PS pump. Fitting is sealed to the pump w/ an oring. If oring is damaged or missing, air will enter. If suction hose to suction fitting is loose, air can enter.

good luck

'89 Accord LX 01-25-2017 09:15 PM

I know the pump itself doesn't leak anywhere. Could it be a loose fitting from putting a new high pressure line on?

TexasHonda 01-26-2017 09:05 AM

Only suction side has pressures below atmospheric allowing air to enter. On HP side fluid will only leak out; pressures > atmospheric.

good luck

'89 Accord LX 01-26-2017 05:49 PM

Well TexasHonda do you think i should replace my factory hoses and hose clamps on the suction side with new ones? I dont think they hold very well

TexasHonda 01-27-2017 11:19 AM

I found a picture of a pump on ebay.

85 86 87 88 89 Honda Accord Prelude Power Steering Pump Original OEM 1.8L 2.0L | eBay

LP fitting appears to be the short curved pipe segment. It is attached to the pump w/ two bolts. Check beneath those two bolts for a replaceable oring. A faulty hose/fitting connection could also allow air to enter; worn out hose, loose connection.

good luck

'89 Accord LX 01-31-2017 11:26 AM

I've checked all the o-rings on the pump itself. They're in great shape and don't have any damage

TexasHonda 01-31-2017 03:26 PM

Air only enters at low pressure locations. It could be the suction hose has a leak or is loose. Also check reservoir as Jim suggested.

good luck

JimBlake 01-31-2017 04:35 PM

If the screen is dirty, there's that much more suction everywhere below the screen into the pump. A tiny hairline crack in the plastic reservoir??