Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Normal Idle? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/normal-idle-7206/)

sssexy70 01-26-2007 03:50 PM

Normal Idle?

Does anyone know what a normal idle is for a 1997 Accord 2.2 dohc (i think or sohc but not v-tec)? I think mine may be a little low. And how would I adjust it if it is too low? There is no idle screw since it is fuel injection.

sir_nasty 01-26-2007 06:22 PM

RE: Normal Idle?

there's still idle adjustment screws on the throttle body.... I believe yours is supposed to be about 800-1000 rpm when warm

sssexy70 01-26-2007 06:27 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know the engine too well... where on the throttle body can i locate this? If there is a diagram that would be incredible!

JimBlake 01-26-2007 08:07 PM

There's a procedure for adjusting the "BASE idle speed". You aren't supposed to just go& adjust that randomly...

sssexy70 01-30-2007 09:53 PM

Would Honda safely adjust it if I asked them? The car shakes like its stalling... it's sitting about 700rpm... my mother's crv sits about 900 and my dad's new accord sits about 800-850...

overlordjd 09-28-2007 07:15 AM

1. To Adjust the idle on you car you need to first run the car until it warms up. The fan should come on.
2.Put the car in neutral or park.
3.Turn the car off and disconnect the wire from the IAC (idle air control valve) the should be at the back of the throtle body on your car with 2 small coolant hose running to it.
4.Start the engine with the gas pedal slightly pressed and stabilize the idle at 1000rpm. Slowly release the pedal and let the idle go to normal. Make sure all accessories are turned off.
5.Now you may turn the screw on the throttle body to get the desired idle speed. The screw is located on the throttle body just above where the intake pipe meets it.
6. Once you are finnished, turn the engine off and plug the electrical plug back into the IAC valve.
7. There will probably bean errorcode in the computer regarding the IAC valve. You need to remove the 7.5amp radio backup fuse from the under hood fuse box for at least 10 seconds to reset this.

Good luck.

00AccordLX5spd 09-28-2007 10:24 AM

Diagrams can be found in the DIY section. 4th post from the top -deserthonda's post entitled"Great site for DIY (Hondadude)" follow the instructions and log on to the site he linked in the post. - I think I may need to put this info in my signature.I swear nobody ever uses that site or even looks in the DIY section.

superballz00 09-28-2007 11:59 AM

I got a 97 LX and it idles at 750 RPM just like it saids on the hood.

deserthonda 09-28-2007 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

I swear nobody ever uses that site or even looks in the DIY section.
I totally agree with you, a lot of members TOTALLY ignore that ,,,,, it is almost getting as bad to tell members ( look at the DIY section ) as it is to input year and model ..
A lot of times if members would take the time to look for themselves rather than to be ( spoon fed) , thye can find the answers ,,and we would not have to tell them to go look in the DIY section ,and waste time and space ..
I am here willingly to help all you guys ,,, But members... try to help yourselves first ,, especially if the answers are already posted ..

By the way idle should be around 750 rpm, engine warm , fans cycled ) , if engine shakes, chk ther motor mounts ,, also, you might want to clean the throttle body and adjuster screw + port

falkore24 09-28-2007 12:27 PM

Good call guys ...... search and DIY are going into my sig now!