Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Make my Engine Strong

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Lester IV
Unregistered
Default Make my Engine Strong

I have '94 2.2L Vtec engine, and my question is, what needs to be done to the engine itself to make it stronger and faster. Does it need to be bored? Do certain parts need to be replaced with stronger parts, and if so then what needs to be replaced. Money is not a problem. I am just unsure of what to do to the block itself.

Thank you for reading.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:54 AM
Default RE: Make my Engine Strong

Money is not a problem? What do you do for work?
Anyway, there is alot you can do to the internals to make a pretty mean beefy f22b1. There are stroker kits, light weight rods and pistons, balanced crankshaft, performance cam, titanium oversized valves, stronger valve springs, light weight flywheel, port match and polish head and manifolds. That is at least what I plan to do to mine in future. But be warned, with the cost of all that sutff you could easily turbo your car up to 8 psi on stock internals. Stock internals that are at least healthy.
Check out this site:
http://www.f22parts.com/

They got what you want.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you can turbo that sucker

you can swap a H22/23a in there

you can build a frakenstien motor f series block H series head.....

or you can do what I did, get a faster ride......

Old 10-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Lester IV
Unregistered

Well turbo is the last thing I am going to do to my Monster, I want to get as much outta it as I can before I go Turbo.
As far was what I do for a living, I work in a Doctors Office, I was saving up to put 15,000 as a down pymt for a Z car, but then I relaized i wanted to completely Beast out my Accord.( and it won't be a daily driver, i have a few tracks near me that i plan to run it on)
Any more ideas are welcome

Old 10-11-2006, 05:29 PM

yeh... if u want power strait from the start u have to decide 1 thing Vtec or not... then u have to decide Turbo or not... if turbo... START WITH A TURBO! u cant build a NA engine for power then bolt on a turbo and say DONE! u have to build the engine for the turbo, Cams heads internals lighten stuff balance bring the NA compression down. u build it totaly different for NA cars... u build up the compression put high lift long durration cams in (preferably Vtec cams because NA Vtec pwns) dish the pistons stroke the engine forge everything mill the head port and polish run long runner headers CAI stuff like this. the whole idea for the 2 cars is comletely differnt as is the power that u will create, HP to HP a N/A car will dominate a FI car any day. the power is steady and smoother personaly i build for NA my car is gunna hit the 300 HP mark with just a few though serious mods

Old 10-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Lester IV
Unregistered

Ok well if i have to decide then yes i want to use my SOHC, 2.2L Vtec, and yes i want to Turbo it, so now I guess my question is: In detail what needs to be done to the block to withstand 10+ PSI of Turbo? And don't leave any littel thing out
Thanks for the post.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:25 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

new rings and better rods, thats about it dont have to replace the pistons unless they are bad

Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: legionofone

yeh... if u want power strait from the start u have to decide 1 thing Vtec or not... then u have to decide Turbo or not... if turbo... START WITH A TURBO!
That's what I am doing. I turbo'd my car's f22b2 and picked up a 2nd f22b2 (for a $100 from someone on this board) that I'm rebuilding from the ground up as a turbo motor. I get the best of both worlds. A motor that will be able to take some serious boost and a turbo accord running low boost in the mean time.

Everyone else has some good suggestions. The stock crank can actually handle some high hp, so I don't consider it to be a weak point in these motors. The rods are probably the weakest link.

First decide if you want a turbo beast or an NA beast. The two paths will be very different, like legion said.