Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Oil around spark plug threads (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/oil-around-spark-plug-threads-5901/)

accordfan222 11-11-2006 04:53 PM

Oil around spark plug threads

I changed spark plug on 97 accord SE with 184000 miles on it. I saw some oil aroud the threads and around the tip. Is that common to have the oil in that area. I read lots of forums about having oil around spark plug wires. I checked the wires and had no oil on them. Just curious.

sir_nasty 11-11-2006 05:24 PM

RE: Oil around spark plug threads

On a number of occasions I've seen trace amounts of oil around the spark plug threads but if there is enough that the socket has oil on it when you remove the spark plug (like there is a small "pool" around it) then it might be your spark plug tube seals and there is a write up for that in our DIY section

YeuEmMaiMai 11-12-2006 02:28 PM

i would agree with the tube seals leaking.........

legionofone 11-13-2006 08:18 AM

small qunatity of oil is totaly fine... just maby a drop or 2... if it gets serious (teaspoon or so in the tube) then it can heat up and expand poping ur plug wire off.... and create a missfire... its realy easy fix, just a valve cover gasket set and a few tools... also a haynes manual is good

accordfan222 11-13-2006 02:50 PM

Thanks to all of you, just question, you guys talking about 4 upper tube seal gasket right not the lower ones (hard to do as it say in DIY section) Please correct me if I am wrong.

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

On a number of occasions I've seen trace amounts of oil around the spark plug threads but if there is enough that the socket has oil on it when you remove the spark plug (like there is a small "pool" around it) then it might be your spark plug tube seals and there is a write up for that in our DIY section

legionofone 11-13-2006 06:23 PM

in all my experience there shouldent be any lover seals... only upperones were they seal to the valve cover... they are little rubber boots on the top of the plug shafts...

deserthonda 11-14-2006 12:39 AM

ORIGINAL: legionofone

in all my experience there shouldent be any lover seals... only upperones were they seal to the valve cover... they are little rubber boots on the top of the plug shafts...
well all i can say my friend is to keep working , learn., and get more experience ;)

there are seal below the rocker arm assembly that if they leak, oil will go into the spark plug tubes ,,,,,

also like you said ( a small quantity of oil is totally fine ) , Wrong my friend ,,, there should be no oil in the spark plug tubes ,,if there is ,, than either the upper seals ( below valve cover ) or lower rocker arm seals are starting to leak and will only get worse with time ..

accordfan222 11-14-2006 02:57 PM

Thank you, I will keep an eye on this issue and as soon as it get worst I will try to replace them.

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

well all i can say my friend is to keep working , learn., and get more experience ;)

there are seal below the rocker arm assembly that if they leak, oil will go into the spark plug tubes ,,,,,

also like you said ( a small quantity of oil is totally fine ) , Wrong my friend ,,, there should be no oil in the spark plug tubes ,,if there is ,, than either the upper seals ( below valve cover ) or lower rocker arm seals are starting to leak and will only get worse with time ..

YeuEmMaiMai 11-14-2006 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

I'm with DH on this one cause a car should NOT leak oil at all....you must be used to amercian cars were thinhs like this are to be expected....lol

legionofone 11-15-2006 07:16 AM

just always have had a TINY ammount when i say tiny... i mean like less than a drop...i dont tear apart my engine much :) but i know how my old SOHC engine was built (mitsubishi 2.5L) anyway... i dident have lower seals on that enigne... was just a single tube coming off the top of the cylinder head... anyway most of the leaking will start at the top one... again get a head gasket kit will have everything u need...