Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   oil leak... (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/oil-leak-15832/)

ohiostatepimp22 01-31-2008 11:46 AM

oil leak...

I have an oil leak around my oil filter i have a 94 accord and i was just wondering if anyone has had the same problem. I got the engine dye to see exactly where. But i believe its what the oil filter screws on i believe i torqued it too tight resulting in maybe a crack in it. Does anyone know the name of this part??

nafango2 01-31-2008 11:55 AM

RE: oil leak...

how did you tighten the oil filter too tight? i cant really see that happening unless you used a wrench to tighten it.

make sure that the old gasket from the old filter isnt stuck to the block anywhere.

ohiostatepimp22 01-31-2008 11:56 AM

yea i did its clean as can be..i talked to a buddy of mine and he said that maybe i could have over tightened it which it was really tight

Nova 02-01-2008 12:24 AM

Did you replace it with the right filter?? You may have gotten a filter which is too big, but will still screw on.

ohiostatepimp22 02-01-2008 09:53 AM

i looked in the book and matched it up in the book at autozone. So i have no clue what is wrong

sir_nasty 02-01-2008 10:35 AM

since we're talking about a relativly inexpensive part here I'd just take the old one off and replace it with a honda filter. make sure the block is clean from all old debrie and oil, tighten down the honda filter as tight as you can get it with one hand, then use an oil wrench and go 1/4-1/2 turn more and try that.

norm1971 02-03-2008 08:07 AM

I have a 2007 Accord wich is loosing about 3/4 of a quart of oil every 3500miles. My concern is will this gets worse as the car gets older.
Plannig to call Honda a document this just incase I needa new engine at 100k.
Anyone else see this in their accords?

BlkCurrantKord 02-03-2008 11:25 AM

Geez..my 10yr old F23 doesn't lose any oil or if it does its hardly noticeable.

19Accord97 02-03-2008 11:43 PM

Fram 3593a

Thats their oil filter part. Did you put clean oil on the rubber gasket of the new oil filter before screwing it on? Also, after you remvoed your old filter did you wipe away all the grime and oil so the new gasket/filter has a clean surface?

Oil filters are a lot thinner these days then they used to be. I never tighten mine on with a wrench. Instead I tighten them until the gasket makes contact, put a mark on the filter and crank it almost a full turn/where it is really tight!

But yes, overtightening could have easily caused a small pinsized hole. Have had it happen before.