Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Performance Cam (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/performance-cam-5498/)

Slusher 10-17-2006 05:14 AM

Performance Cam

Is it worth it? Meaning if all the other bolt on stuff is done.
How stong is the stock valve train? When do valves start to float?
Does anyone have a performance cam? Like it? Power gains? Did you have to mod the ecu?
I'm not looking at anything radical, car must still pass emmissions and I do not want a real crappy idle. I would prefer to keep the stock springs and keepers but if this totally defeats the purpose then I need to know. I would also accept a crappy idle if the performance is REALLY worth it.
Opinions and comments welcome.
I put a performance cam in my old datsun 280zx and noticed a big difference, I hope the f22b1 is as receptive.

YeuEmMaiMai 10-17-2006 07:15 AM

RE: Performance Cam

No.

I would turbo that thing first

marbro 10-17-2006 07:29 PM

if you are going to turbo, you need to get a cam that has a turbo profile, which is completely different from a cam that would be for an n/a build if you were to go with an n/a cam you would ultimately be creating problems for yourself in the future, a cam profiled for a turbo wont give you large gains itself, but its something that will help with the spool up of the turbo, which in turn means less turbo lag

oh, and side note, when you do n/a cams depending how agressive of a profile you go you will lose the functionality of your stock ecu due to it not being able to cope with the air fuel ratios and the completely off stock sensor reading.... which means new ecu or chipped ecu

Slusher 10-17-2006 08:18 PM

Thanks for the info from you both. I should have stated that I am planning an n/a build, I know how many of you feel about this but it is kind of my own little venture.
That being said, do you still think that it is worth it?
Is there a place that will do custom ecu/chip work? I have an auto, I know get rid of it, but I personally would just assume leave it. I know that a lot of ecu tuning places don't offer anything for the autos, am I not looking in the right places?
Thanks in advance.

YeuEmMaiMai 10-17-2006 09:21 PM

your best bet if you want to build a NA motor is H22/23 head on F series block. If you pick the right parts you will get a lot of HP and more torque than HP heads header and exhaust along with intake should get you up to 175hp or so...up from 145

Slusher 10-18-2006 04:09 AM

Just so I get this right, the f22b1 head should be thrown out for an n/a build. I have read that the h23 head is practically a bolt on operation while the h22 is way more work and it is better to do the whole swap. I would also imagine that doing the head swap(h23) would require all the wiring and ecu, correct? I know the h22 would have to have it. So, beefing up the f22b1 is really a losing battle?

marbro 10-19-2006 01:47 AM

for an f22 you would want to do an h22 i think those bit better, but basically na you want the dohc for better tuneability

richy143 10-19-2006 10:56 PM

I also feel your pain. I have a 95 Accord EX w/ F22b vtec. I have all of the usual bolt on stuff and now I am looking for a cam and intake manifold. So far I can find nothing for the F22b. As far as the earlier mention of making it turbo I would just say I would STRONGLY recommend doing a tranny swap. The turbo will eat up your auto. The one thing that I have found is that it is easy and cost effective ($$/hp gain) to use a 50 shot of NOS. Well anyway I feel your pain and if anyone has any knowledge of an aftermarket cam or intake manifold for the f22 please let me know.

marbro 10-20-2006 03:40 AM

nos will eat up your auto just as much as a turbo will

Slusher 10-21-2006 02:21 AM

http://www.f22parts.com/
richy143, check out this site it has lots of stuff for the f22. I'm just not sure how much power you will get.