Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   rattling noise when accelerating (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/rattling-noise-when-accelerating-21197/)

botang47 10-12-2008 11:41 AM

rattling noise when accelerating

well for awhile now, iv noticed that when im accelerating from a stop, theres a rattling sound. this can also happen when im accelerating while driving, but i dont notice it as much.
my car has been leaking transmission fluid from the axle seal for awhile now, but i dont have the money to fix it, so iv just been putting more fluid in. could this be a cause?

Velocifero 10-12-2008 06:11 PM

RE: rattling noise when accelerating

ORIGINAL: botang47

well for awhile now, iv noticed that when im accelerating from a stop, theres a rattling sound. this can also happen when im accelerating while driving, but i dont notice it as much.
my car has been leaking transmission fluid from the axle seal for awhile now, but i dont have the money to fix it, so iv just been putting more fluid in. could this be a cause?
Could be, but that leak isn't helping.

ford 10-13-2008 12:07 PM

or maybe it could also be your exhaust pipe falling apart...or maybe its just touching the shield...

botang47 10-13-2008 03:14 PM

but then why would it only rattle when accelerating?

JimBlake 10-13-2008 04:22 PM

Because when you accelerate, the engine mounts flex, allowing the engine to lean backwards, which causes the exhaust system to flex into a new position.

botang47 10-14-2008 03:19 PM

thanks.
i sure hope its the exhaust and not the transmission

JimBlake 10-14-2008 04:15 PM

I hope so too, but noises are the hardest thing to diagnose over text messages... :D

The fact that it changes with throttle suggests that its not valve/lifter noise.
If it were wheel bearings, it SHOULD(?) change with steering around a corner.

Maybe CV joints?
Can you make the noise in an empty parking lot? Have a friend stand outside & maybe tell the location of the sound?

falkore24 10-14-2008 04:42 PM

I've heard that Honda B-pipes have an internal pipe as well that can come loose and rattle.

botang47 10-14-2008 07:20 PM

yeah i had my friend stand outside the car.
you cant hear it when standing over the engine, only when you'reto the side

finch13 10-14-2008 08:47 PM

Crawl under the car (PROPERLY SUPPORTED PLEASE) and check the exhaust pipe end-to-end and make sure the heat shields aren't rattling against the exhaust or floor pan.