Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Rebuilding an H22 for a swap WHOA read it (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/rebuilding-h22-swap-whoa-read-13271/)

nafango2 10-16-2007 11:53 AM

Rebuilding an H22 for a swap WHOA read it

I know this topic has been exhausted to almost no end, but Ive been thinking of doing an H22 swap. I dont have a lot of money tho, So I was thinking about going junkyard browsing for an H22 thats been blown (with fairly low miles) and rebuild it. I've never rebuilt a car engine, but Ive rebuilt a lawn mower engine, (cross-hatching the cylenders, checking clearances, new rings, bearing clearances, valve seat resurfacing, replacing broken parts/cleaning carbon etc) so i know the basic procedure for rebuilding an engine. Do you think that would be a good path to go down for a low-cost H22? I have a lot of free time (1/2 of school every day, no job, hence why I have to do this cheaply) so the work involved rebuilding isnt that much of a big deal to me.
Also, how many mpg would I expect to get with an H22 swap?
I am, however, worried about the swap itself. I dont have an engine lift, So i'd have to find someone to borrow one from. Also, my car is a daily driver, So i cant spend more than a weekend doing the swap.
I can spend quite a bit of time with the rebuild tho.
So what do you think?

Shadow1992 10-16-2007 12:30 PM

RE: Rebuilding an H22 for a swap WHOA read it

Your MPG depends a lot on it's condition after the rebuild, and how you drive it. New or in good condition and doing normal driving you can expect city mileage to be about the mid 20's. You can buy a small lift at some autoparts stores for less than $100. And you can do the swap in a weekend if you have help and have a good plan and some exprience. As far as finding you an H22...that is going to be hard. Especially in the US with low miles. H22's are popular enough that if one does make it to a junkyard without being taken from the car beforehand, it wont sit there for very long.

nafango2 10-16-2007 12:41 PM

really? damn, i didnt know blown H22's were in such high demand. And even if i find an engine with 150k miles on it, it would most likely be in better condition than mine with 90k. I took off the oil pan the other day (oil pan gasket replacement) and almost every component was covered in that burnt-looking dark residue and all the stationary components had a layer of sludge on them.

Remember, Ill be re-building any H22 I buy so it will be at least in decent condition, and ill know when i crack it open how much wear is on it.

00AccordLX5spd 10-16-2007 01:13 PM

You never know, you may get lucky. Start calling salvage yards as soon as you have the money. You never know, you may find an H22 that doesn't need any work done to it. You will definitely need an engine lift and some help. You won't be able to do the swap alone.

live2rice 10-16-2007 01:34 PM

I say just buy a working H22, you can get a h22a(JDM) longblock from importer for less than or about $1000.

I would think buying a blown one and rebuilding it would cost about that or more.

for the record working ones, and probably blown ones have a pretty high price tag in junkyards

I found one once with 115k miles on it and they wanted $1400

Fenix 10-16-2007 01:46 PM

if your in the NYC area ill help with the swap. Dont know much about doing it, but it should be fun

nafango2 10-16-2007 05:01 PM

well i was hoping more to find an engine in the several-hundred-dollar range if its blown and its from a scrapyard. I figure if its got a blown head gasket and a broken rod, it would cost maybe $150 for a gasket set, $80 for a connecting rod, $25 for a used engine lift (a guy down the street is selling one... or i could borrow one from someone) and im set.

Can i use the same Power steering pump, alternator, A/C compressor, etc?
If so, that would save me money.

PS sorry fenix, Milwaukee WI.

live2rice 10-16-2007 05:23 PM

something to remember is there are ALWAYS hidden costs when doing something that isnt stock(even when it is stock in some cases)

i highly doubt you will be able to "rebuild" a engine for $250.

I also notice your accord is a automatic

do you plan on swapping in a manual transmission?

here is what you need from a prelude
· Engine/trans and all engine mounts
·ECU(i recommend a P28 rather than the P13 but thats just me)
· Engine wiring harness
· Half shafts
·All engine accessory drive brackets, P/S pump, alternator
·Catalytic converter, down pipe and header
·Fuel rail from '97 or newer Prelude
·Radiator hoses, heater hoses
·Throttle cables (for non-cruise control applications)

the wiring harness from the prelude and accord more or less need to be fused together. I wouldnt try this yourself unless you are very good with wiring. Hasport will do it for $300(you send them both harnesses)

also you should do the timing belt and water pump

its also a good idea to do a new clutch(if MT)

sir_nasty 10-16-2007 05:48 PM

Try calling spaldings, they may have what you need since it's a huge wrecking yard in spokane with lots of tuners

Spalding Auto Parts, Inc.
2210 N. University
Spokane, WA 99206-4782 Toll Free 1-800-366-2070

nafango2 10-16-2007 07:19 PM

no i don't plan on doing a manual swap, if i can i'd like to use my current tranny. Otherwise I would try to find a AT from a prelude. (I would love a manual, but I cant weld, nor do i have a welder, nor am i very good at metalworking)

And I'm not too worried about wiring. I have a background in electrical engineering (not a degree... just a background...) I did custom install a security system/keyless that came with NO installation instructions, ebay ftw. (sorry bout the brag)

ive been reading this: http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum...hread.php?t=29 and I could prolly get all these parts from the same car at a junkyard. My mom has a minivan (*puke*) I can borrow use to transport the engine.

Also, Will this swap do anything that will affect insurance costs? ( I dont have comprehensive/collision, so the higher worth of the car wont affect anything )

thanks for the replys. I plan to piece this together like most people piece together turbos.

EDIT: sir_nasty Ill call them tomoro after school.
Im guessing they will ship long distances?
washington to WI is pretty far.