Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   repost about information about buying a new Accord (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/repost-about-information-about-buying-new-accord-1085/)

billcat 10-02-2005 10:17 PM

repost about information about buying a new Accord

I posted this in the New Member area and then got to thinking that new members might not have owned an Accord long enough to answer this one so I'm reposting it here.

Hello, I am not yet a owner of a Honda accord but will most likely be soon. But there is some questions I would like to know about.
How do the newer 04-05 V6 manual tranny cars score on reliablility and ease of shifting. The only reason I'm asking is I was thinking about getting as Acura RSX but I've found through their forums that they have a lot of trouble with their 6 speed transmissions. So I'm wanting to see if the Honda shares any of these problems. They spoke of bad grinding from 1-2 and 2-3 gears and some have had the trouble almost from the day they got their cars. I know they have a fix on older models but people are still not very happy with newer models that have the fix built into their newer model trans..
How about the motor, any complaints on anything specific like elec. component failure or just hard to work on issues?
When I get mine I plan on keeping it forever pretty much so I'm very interested in their long term reliability. I plan on getting
the V6 Coupe manual trans. model. I think I'm going to try for a new 05 year if I can find one on a lot when I get the money to buy it with. I might go with a 04 model if the mileage is very low.
Thanks for any help and thoughts on these issues. I've spent a bit of time looking at different cars but the Accord seems to fit a lot of what I'm looking for in a car. I may go with the S2000 but I think if I put some work into an Accord I can have enough fun with it as well. They seem to have the performance and a lot of possibility with them. They are very nice cars from what I've seen and read and drove a friends Accord as well and liked how it rode though I thought it could use a better swaybar setup. Very good power over the RPM range in the V6, never rode in a 4cyl model so can't comment on how they are but taking a S2000 for a drive I was a little put off on it's low end torque though it's quite a fun car on the roads where I live once the rpm's start to climb so I keep it in mind. I wish I could have taken a drive in the newer year model as it has a larger engine and I've heard it's low end torque is better now. Maybe down the road I may get one but I think I'll get the Accord first. I just hope I can get some feedback mostly on how the manual trannys are. Thanks
B. W.

RTexasF 10-03-2005 09:48 AM

RE: repost about information about buying a new Accord

I can only comment on the 5 speed manual four cylinder Accord. I have an '04 and couldn't be more pleased. The only time you'll get a 1-2 crunch is if you are trying to get chirp the tires. I did install a Neuspeed short shift kit and it works splendidly, shortening the throws by about one third.

Shocker 10-03-2005 12:48 PM

I would take the accord over the rsx just because the fact is they are a better car in my mind, as far as the griinding gears go must agree with texas. although the rsx does have the K series engine that is nice but with some minor mods the accord engine can perform about the same for less the price, however if u got the money then gofor th K series lol

10-03-2005 02:17 PM

I too have an '04 Accord 2.4l with the 5-speed man. transmission. Have had it since March of '04. Zero problems with anything. The transmission shifts very well.

sTeVo! 10-03-2005 06:10 PM

I cannot comment on the manual - I have an automatic - however, relating to the reliability, I just sold my previous 99 accord with 117,000 miles on it (it was an automatic, too) and it was running as well as the day I bought it. All I ever had to do was the usual maintenence, which I did witht the help of my trusty 'haynes' manual, nothing was ever too difficult. I now own a 2006 Accord coupe ex v6, and aside from the dealer putting a screw through my roof when they installed the auto dimming mirror, I cannot foresee this car having any problems anytime soon... Oh, also, I didn't look to see where you live, but out here in CA, they are sold out of 2005 6-speeds. Hope you live somewhere you can get what you want. I know because I tried for 3 months to get one before finally "settling" on the 2006 auto. Still, i am not anywhere close to dissapointed. Good luck, hope this helps a little. :D

dinzer 10-03-2005 09:12 PM

stevo,
im into my accord, i have the 2000 3.0 v6, im spending quite a bit of my time and my hard earned cash in turning in into a ,lets just say," higher performance accord", however, i have to be honest and say that if i could, i would take the s 2000 over the accord any time.

just my opinion

good luck with your 2006 though

all the best

sTeVo! 10-03-2005 09:52 PM

Yeah, I like the s2000's, but at 6'1, I could hardly fit inside of one. I was looking more for luxury/touring - love my road trips...

WheelBrokerAng 10-04-2005 12:49 AM

STEVO...me thinks we ought to get you into an A8 Audi so you fit's in there easier...Luxory for sure, performance for sure and $150,000 with the 12 engine...

WheelBrokerAng...
P.S. by the way, I have one of my guys who sells them brand new....yes I've drove one of the big engined A8's my self,,,,,pleanty of Zoom, Zoom, Zoom...

WheelBrokerAng[sm=nerd.gif]

sTeVo! 10-04-2005 12:54 PM

Hey wheelbroker, I appreciate the offer, but this post was for billcat up at the top... I was just spewing my opinion at everyone... I do like the audi's, but as i said in a previous post, i just got a new honda. Either way, when i need to go REALLY fast, i just borrow my bosses S4, that thing is pretty sweet! I think i need a house before i blow 150K on a car... [:o]

billcat 10-05-2005 01:58 AM

Thanks for the inputs folks. At least I haven't read anything bad about them so far like I did at the Acura site. As long as the running gear is sound I can take care of the rest.