Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Royal Purple and 10 HP?? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/royal-purple-10-hp-15188/)

bssmagik83 01-06-2008 02:44 PM

Royal Purple and 10 HP??

I was watching Trucks the other weekend and I saw them dyno an engine on regular oil (i think it was a 350)then the same engine on Royal Purple and it gained 10 hp and like 9 ft lbs. Just from the switch...Do you think this is limited to that engine or could it benefit our motors???

nafango2 01-06-2008 05:04 PM

RE: Royal Purple and 10 HP??

might benfit a little bit, but big V8s have a lot more to oil than our 4bangers.

you might get like 3-4 hp. if your lucky.
you can get a small amount of hp by simply using synthetic oil, doesnt really have to be royal purple.

Joseph 01-06-2008 06:13 PM

magik isnt a 4 banger ;)

RTexasF 01-06-2008 06:30 PM

On Bobistheoilguy Royal Purple has not shown any outstanding used oil analysis'. A few were good and some acceptable but no really great ones. Not many there use it so the UOA's are fewand that may account for themediocre showing. I find it overpriced for what you get but that is just my opinion. If I were going to change to synthetic right now the choice would be Pennzoil Platinum. I use Mobil 1 currently and have a large supply so it will be a while before I change brands.

WheelBrokerAng 01-06-2008 07:38 PM

I use the Mobil 1 also Rick and will more than likely use it most forever..by the way .. did you get my PM this morning?

Pm me with an answer after you research that subject alittle...

Thanks WheelBrokerAng

00AccordLX5spd 01-07-2008 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: nafango2

big V8s have a lot more to oil than our 4bangers.

Believe it or not, they don't really hold that much more. My 91 Mustang takes 5 quarts. My 2000 4cylAccord takes around 4.5.

falkore24 01-07-2008 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

On Bobistheoilguy Royal Purple has not shown any outstanding used oil analysis'. A few were good and some acceptable but no really great ones. Not many there use it so the UOA's are fewand that may account for themediocre showing. I find it overpriced for what you get but that is just my opinion. If I were going to change to synthetic right now the choice would be Pennzoil Platinum. I use Mobil 1 currently and have a large supply so it will be a while before I change brands.
Take a look at the bearing scar test.

For what it's worth, after I did a quad-tranny fluid change and an oil change with Royal Purple, my car is dying. I don't attribute this to the fluids, just coincidence I guess ...... and there's a theory floating around that the tranny fluid changes killed it.