Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2005 Accord Intermittent Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:56 PM
05EXL
Unregistered
Default 2005 Accord Intermittent Start

I'm new here and searching for anyone will some insight to these troubles my wife has been having with her car.

The car will not start ... we've taken it to the dealership four times now and the starting issue still has not been resolved. The first attempt to fix the problem, we tookcar in and the dealership said "well, if it's not giving us a code, then we can not do anything". We have since started taking the car to another dealership. The second attempt by anotherdealership was to replace the immoblizer unit, the third attempt was to replace the electrical side of the ignition switch, and the fourth attempt was to replace some kind of sensor the tells the car if it's in park or not.

The symptoms when you try to start it; it does nothing ... you have all electrical functions inside the car, the radio, fans, windows, dash lights, moon roof, etc ... just no attempt at starting, it's like it's not giving power to the starter. I have noticed that on some occasions, if you apply more than normal pressure to the ignition switch, it will start. Another weird thing is that it only seems to happen when it's been around 90 degrees outside. We're expecting and I don't want this car stranding her anywhere.

Thanks for listening ...

Jonathan

Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2005 Accord Intermittent Start

Is it still under warranty?

Just to head off a wild goose chase, the main relay is a common problem when the interior gets real hot. But the main relaywon't interrupt power to the starter motor. So you've got something different going on.

I like the observation about turning the key a little farther. That points to a flaky ignition switch. That's not unknown in Hondas.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 AM
05EXL
Unregistered

Thanks for replying ... yes the car is still under warranty and we really want Honda to fix it. It's just that the dealership is in Greensboro, NC about 30 minutes away and I was hoping there would be a quick fix that I could do. The dealership is really concerned about this and they are attempting to get it fixed, it's just the hassle of getting the car to them.

I did search the forum and saw all the posts about the fuel relay and was hoping that was our problem, but after reading, our problem is just a little different. I will post on here what it took to get it fixed as soon as it's complete.

Oh! I forgot one item that was replaced, it was the electrical side of the ignition switch. Here's a list below with the item's replaced.

1. First attempt by "Asheboro Honda" which we're no longer dealing with - "if it's not giving us a code, then we can not do anything".
2. Second attempt - Immoblizer Unit.
3. Third attempt - Electrical Side of Ignition Switch.
4. Fourth attempt - Sensor that tells the car if it's park or not "I don't remember the name".

Thanks!

Jonathan

Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 PM

You can start the car in Neutral, too, so that might be worth a try. I suspect it won't work any better, but if it does, you have some useful information toward solving the problem. Just make sure you keep your foot on the brake, since the car might roll if it's not on level ground.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 PM
05EXL
Unregistered

Thank You! I will definitly try anything ... I'll called the dealership this morning, and he said just bring him the car and he will grind his wheels at this problem again to try and get it fixed.

Jonathan

Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 PM

I am currently having the same problem. It's a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L V6 engine. It does the same exact thing (even putting more pressure when turning the key seems to work some of the time). It is currently at a Honda Dealer getting the diagnostics test. It came up with nothing. They were hoping that it would do the *not starting thing but it hasn't done it. They're keeping it overnight to hopefully see if it'll do it tomorrow. He "thinks" it may be the starter. It may be weak or have a short in it. Definitely not the fuel pump, ignition, or the main relay. I'll keep you posted if I change the starter and it solves the problems.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Default Any update?

Originally Posted by philmaine
I am currently having the same problem. It's a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L V6 engine. It does the same exact thing (even putting more pressure when turning the key seems to work some of the time). It is currently at a Honda Dealer getting the diagnostics test. It came up with nothing. They were hoping that it would do the *not starting thing but it hasn't done it. They're keeping it overnight to hopefully see if it'll do it tomorrow. He "thinks" it may be the starter. It may be weak or have a short in it. Definitely not the fuel pump, ignition, or the main relay. I'll keep you posted if I change the starter and it solves the problems.
Any new posts on what the problem was? I'm having the same issues.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Default 2005 Honda Accord 2.4

Have you tried disconnecting the battery? My Honda periodically decides not to start. It doesn't matter what temp it is, it just won't turn iver, no click no nothing. I disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and boom, it works fine until the next instance, which could be a day or 3 weeks... I have no idea where to start to fix it, so I just leave it. My rear brake light wire is dead, don't know if that's part of the problem creating a short or not. Anyways, god luck.