Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Starting issue 97 accord ex (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/starting-issue-97-accord-ex-63836/)

byronb860 09-22-2016 11:40 PM

Starting issue 97 accord ex

Hello guys, new here, I have a 97 accord that clicks when I try to start it. I've replaced the battery and starter on it and still has the issue at times. Any idea of what it could be? Thanks

bicklebok 09-28-2016 12:43 PM

More than likely its your starter. It could also be a bad connection, etc.

In my case, my 97 started doing the same thing. I checked the battery and it was good. I didnt even troubleshoot anymore. With 205,000 I just went ahead and replaced the starter, which was the problem.

byronb860 09-28-2016 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by bicklebok (Post 371579)
More than likely its your starter. It could also be a bad connection, etc.

In my case, my 97 started doing the same thing. I checked the battery and it was good. I didnt even troubleshoot anymore. With 205,000 I just went ahead and replaced the starter, which was the problem.

Thanks bicklebok, could it be that the new starter is bad already you think? I'm going to clean all connections hopefully tomorrow

bicklebok 09-29-2016 07:19 AM

Try tapping on it and see if that makes a difference. Also, checking the contacts like you said is a good idea. You can also take the starter to Auto Zone and have it tested.

If you replaced the old starter with an inexpensive rebuilt one, I wouldnt be surprised if it's bad already. I just bought a high quality rebuilt starter for mine($160) and it was bad. Had to pull it right back off. So I bought another high quality rebuilt starter and although it works, it is giving problems too. Pretty sad that its hard to get good rebuilt parts these days.

TexasHonda 09-29-2016 08:26 AM

Suggest cleaning and tightening both battery connections. Symptoms can be caused by weak connection or bad battery cable (check for voltage drop).

good luck

byronb860 10-02-2016 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 371591)
Suggest cleaning and tightening both battery connections. Symptoms can be caused by weak connection or bad battery cable (check for voltage drop).

good luck

I've cleaned and tightened down all ground connections. I also cleaned the positive cable on the battery and starter and I'm still getting the same issues. Once the CEO light came on after a while, git it scanned and was told it's the crankshaft position sensor. Would that be it?

TexasHonda 10-02-2016 06:58 PM

CPS will prevent engine from starting, but not cause a no-turnover or clicking from solenoid. Possibilities are bad battery, connections, bad battery wire/s, or faulty starter. You have replaced battery and starter, and cleaned connections. That leaves faulty battery wire/s as remaining possibility, if all work is good.

good luck