Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Honda Accord J30 engine hydraulic tension er length measurement

Old 09-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Default Honda Accord J30 engine hydraulic tension er length measurement

Hey guys I know this is kind of an odd request but I am in a pinch on time and resources as well. I need to get this car back on the road. Now the problem is that for whatever reason the timing kit I bought did come with the hydraulic tension er but the tension er does not have the bracket. not sure why because it was new in the box. But anyway I need to come up with a way to compress it so i need to make my own bracket easy enough when you have a friend that has his own shop. Now can anyone tell me how long it has to be so I can make one to the right length and the rest I can copy off of photos.

So what I need to know is the length measuring from end to end on the bracket and then ill make my own.

Anyone with that info it would be much appreciated.

I know most of you will say well just return the part or go and buy a new one well were i live the auto parts stores are out of stock and returning the kit for a new one would take to long and even if i did order one from one of the parts stores at this point it takes about 2 days to get one. I am trying to get this car done and on the road as soon as possible so this is the fastest way i can think of.

Thanks for any feed back.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Are you talking about that #12 thing? (Honda calls it a stopper) Why can't you use the existing one?

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord J30 engine hydraulic tension er length measurement-1998-v6-cams.gif  
Old 09-28-2017, 12:49 PM

yes the # 12. I cant use the old one because as I already stated in the last post is because the kit i bought for whatever reason did not have one just my luck.
Its all good i had a buddy of mine make one we just kind of looked at whatever photos were available and made one from there it took us 2 times to make one but it worked I got the tension er back on and the cars back in time all is good glad i got this thing fixed.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear you got it. What I meant was using the old one from the old tensioner.

I've never done this on a V6. So is that just kind of a tool you use for installing? So it doesn't stay on the engine when you're done with the job?

Old 09-28-2017, 03:32 PM

Right its just a tool you use to install the tensioner on the car it does not stay on the car. its the same way with an H22 if you are using that style of tensioner. there is another one that people call a grenade tensioner witch is better in my opinion because it uses a pin that you pull up and it releases the tension.

Also I didn't have my old one or i should say i lost it some were down the line from moving around.

But sometimes if you dont have a tool you just have to make one lol