Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Suspect baad head gasket 96 accord 2.2 non Vtech (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/suspect-baad-head-gasket-96-accord-2-2-non-vtech-61813/)

tempola 06-20-2015 09:55 PM

Suspect baad head gasket 96 accord 2.2 non Vtech

Okay...old mechanic, new to hondas. picked up a high milage, 96 accord with the 2.2 non vtech CHEAP!!! almost 300k...(wow that must have been a good car)

Runing hot.....replaced cooling fan, thermostat....noticed that radiator cap was not holding any pressure, so replace it.....the car did not like that ONE BIT with the system pressurized, started rough (missing for a bit) I'm almost certain coolant is getting in there causing this..... (use the bad cap and it just pushes it out. the fans and controls check out,

The kids drive the car to school, so I tried some "head gasket seal"...this solved the problem for a while, till the heater hose busted, and now she got pretty hot and you cant go very far at all now until it overheats, plus the rough start came back.

another thing is I had the wife start it....while adding water, and she blew cooliant out like a volcano scalding the crap out of me,.

So what should I look for while tearing this thing down? also...it smokes bad in the morning (blue smoke) but I think thats valve seals/guides

what do you guys think??

poorman212 06-21-2015 07:15 AM

Pretty much "sounds" like the head gasket. You could do a compression/leakdown test if you want to confirm.

If you are going to replace the head gasket. Might as well do the "timing belt job" while there. I'd also plan on sending the head to a machine shop to have them test/re-surface/rebuild the head.

live2rice 06-21-2015 07:59 AM

Any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil? Autozone rents a tool that tests for combustion gases in the coolant. And as poorman said a compression/leak down

tempola 06-21-2015 09:54 PM

Thanks guys. despite it's high ,miles. it drives good.....and cheap on gas. I think i'm going to put a reconditioned head on it....and it appears that I can remove the oil pan with the engine in place. might as well renew the pistons/rings/rods/mains/timing belt, and waterpump while im at it.

No water in the oil, but she did get really hot once.. (enough to shut down) Im just hoping the block isnt cracked.

poorman212 06-27-2015 08:56 AM

Just me but I'd only get into the rings/mains and that if you find "nasty" things in the bottom of the pan......real tech talk there :) but you know what I mean.

With the head off, yes do the timing belt "job" - cam/balance belts, check/replace tensioner pulleys, water pump, inspect the seals (cam, crank, balance shaft, oil pump) and replace if signs of them leaking.