Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Transmission Coolers (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/transmission-coolers-23185/)

artman101 01-27-2009 11:25 AM

Transmission Coolers

I have a 02 EX V6...new tranny last april. What transmission cooler should I get? Also how hard are these to install?

falkore24 01-27-2009 01:49 PM

RE: Transmission Coolers

Hayden 403 ..... zip ties at minimum.

finch13 01-27-2009 01:53 PM

Oh, come on. Spend the $2 for metal hose clamps.

falkore24 01-27-2009 02:09 PM

I meant to mount it. I think it actually comes with zip ties.

finch13 01-27-2009 02:14 PM

Ahh... okay then.

artman101 01-30-2009 06:22 AM

Is it worth spending the money on a B&M cooler or one made specifically for the this Gen Honda??

falkore24 01-30-2009 11:33 AM

Nah, a coil is a coil. The Hayden 403 fits right from what I read when I had a 6th gen V6. In this case, bigger is better but you still have to mount the thing. Also, make sure that it gets a good breeze across it to improve it's efficiency.

RTexasF 01-30-2009 07:42 PM

I don't see where it's worth the expense. You don't tow or subject the tranny to high heat so why bother? The 6th gen auto trannies are know to be, uh, lacking in longevity so where is the gain for the money spent?

19Accord97 01-30-2009 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by RTexasF (Post 152809)
I don't see where it's worth the expense. You don't tow or subject the tranny to high heat so why bother? The 6th gen auto trannies are know to be, uh, lacking in longevity so where is the gain for the money spent?

I think tranny coolers are one of the best things to spend money on. Although I have yet to put one on, I will be this spring. Most tranny failures are due to heat. We had a 94 Plymouth Voyager, @ 70k tranny went out, 90k went out again after being rebuilt so we sold it. I believe in them as in the case of my dad 92 Dodge Spirit which is still a DD. Why?

The 90's gen Mopar transmissions failed due to lack of tranny fluid capacity. Little tranny fluid = poor heat dissipation which = transmission failure.

-80k miles the tranny overheated and went into safemode on a trip to TN.
-After we rented a car and came back my dad put a tranny cooler on.
-Car now has over 180k miles and doesn't slip and still runs strong. W/o the tranny cooler it would have been dead long ago. Not to mention those v6's are torquey as heck and they can still spin the tires w/o a problem.

You dont need a large one, however like stated, the bigger the better. Remember you need to add a bit of tranny fluid to make up for the extra tubing you are adding. If I remember correctly, you want the fluid to go through the cooler right before it enters the tranny so the radiator doesn't heat the fluid back up.

Also, in winters, you will have to let your transmission fluid warm up a minute or two before it engages in gear. When I have to move my dads car I put it in neutral so it warms up faster.

RTexasF 01-31-2009 05:54 AM

You have a valid point. In an auto where the tranny naturally runs quite hot it can be a lifesaver. I suppose it can't hurt and would increase the fluid capacity slightly. For very cold temperatures a bypass to the cooler might be in order.