Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   transmission oils? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/transmission-oils-8940/)

jbl2bgone 04-15-2007 02:44 PM

transmission oils?

Does anyone know of any synthetic transmission oils for an 01 Honda Accord EX auto. I heard of the Royal Purple Max ATF but I don't know if that is any good because they say it is Dexron 3 but in the owners manual of the Accord it says if you use any other Dexron 3 transmission fluid, you can only use it temporarilly.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...y/matfaimg.jpg

Max ATF is a synthetic, high performance, long life, multipurpose, automatic transmission fluid. It's more oxidation stable than other transmission fluids for a longer fluid life. Max ATF's low co-efficient of friction and high film strength help to dramatically reduce heat and wear. Automatic transmissions generate a great deal of heat and depend on the transmission fluid for cooling and protection. More than 90 percent of all automatic transmission failures are caused by overheating.* A drop of 20°F in fluid temperature can double the life of the transmission.* Max ATF significantly reduces heat to extend the life of your transmission and is recommended for all automatic transmissions requiring Ford Mercon® or GM Dexron® III transmission fluids. Max ATF is fully compatible and can be mixed with other automatic transmission fluids; however, for the best results drain or flush the current oil and then fill with Max ATF. Try Royal Purple® today and Feel the Difference!
http://royalpurple.com/prodsa/matfa.html

Or can only Honda ATF-Z1 be used?

deserthonda 04-15-2007 05:17 PM

RE: transmission oils?

ORIGINAL: jbl2bgone

use only Honda ATF-Z1

marbro 04-15-2007 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

use only Honda ATF-Z1

*nods* if you lack the ability to get that right away you can use a 5w 30 as a temporary run

deserthonda 04-15-2007 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: marbro

use only Honda ATF-Z1

*nods* if you lack the ability to get that right away you can use a 5w 30 as a temporary run
wooooooo ,, marbro my man it is an AUTO tranny ,, he definatelly does not want to use 5w 30 ...

RTexasF 04-15-2007 05:35 PM

I wonder if it would even shift with engine oil in it? Don't believe I'd care to try.

jbl2bgone 04-15-2007 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: marbro

use only Honda ATF-Z1

i think the 5w 30 your talking about is engine oil... so everyone says "no" on the Royal Purple Max ATF, so I guess im sticking with Honda's oil.

RTexasF 04-16-2007 12:02 AM

In some cases engine oil can be used as lubricant in standard transmission cars.Marbro missed that fact that yours is an automatic. Correct, stick with the Honda auto transmission fluid.

legionofone 04-16-2007 02:07 AM

actualy 5w30 would run a automatic... back in the day autos ran regular engine oil... now some ATFs have friction modifyers for the clutches and bands... thus why u cant run it for long... the reason theres different oil in tranny is that when a tranny leaked regular oil noone could of diferentiated where it came from... they made it red so us techs can be like o thats tranny fluid...

if ur stuck out in the middle of nowhere and cant find any ATF-Z1 A low viscosity engine oil will get u home with minimal damage to a tranny...

deserthonda 04-16-2007 04:58 AM

ORIGINAL: legionofone

.. they made it red so us techs can be like o thats tranny fluid...

:D:D no offense but that's funny... so tell me what happens when the tranny fluid is really dirty and black like i have seen many many times ,, what do us tech say ..\

O its either tranny fluid or engine oil ?? I am not trying to give you a hard time or be a smart butt ,, believe you me ,, but i don't buy the reason that you stated of why they made it red ,,
I would not use motor oil in a Honda auto tranny under any circumstances if you cannot get honda ATF-Z1 then you can use DEXRON II or III .. either one is easily obtainable at any parts store ,, but DO NOT use motor oil

legionofone 04-16-2007 06:42 AM

i said in a fix... its sorta like a egg in ur radiator or a actual belt as a engine belt...

and yes ATF is red to help TECHS distinguish... its just a dye... if u want pictures of my WYOTECH book where it says the reason for the red coloring i would be more than happy to show u... it could just as easily be blue... and yes old tranny fluid is somethimes blackened... that cant be helped... sorta like green antifreeze can look brown after being used for a long time... and being such a color officianado what color is engine oil when u first pour it in... i promise its not jet black like when u remove it...

u can also smell the difference between ATF and regular oil... o my ATF smells rancid..