Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Transmission Problems? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/transmission-problems-7179/)

coolgmslife 01-25-2007 03:12 AM

Transmission Problems?

Hey, sup guys.
I need to know whats goin on with my accord. Everytime i shift gears from R to D4 or Park to D4. The car takes 1-2 seconds to actually shift into the gear. So most of the time when ishift fromPark to Reverse, im already pressing the pedal and the car jumps into gear. Do i need new transmission fluid, or should i change it, or is it something else?

marbro 01-25-2007 04:52 AM

RE: Transmission Problems?

well.... first off..... dont push down on the gas before its in gear, thats a good way to lose the transmission, second, is it cold out? if so, are you parked in a garage? Have you had the trans oil changed in the last 15k to 20k miles?

sssexy70 01-25-2007 12:53 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about it... my car does the exact same thing. And i definitely do have to change the tranny fluid. That is the best first step I think...

coolgmslife 01-26-2007 12:32 AM

ORIGINAL: marbro

well.... first off..... dont push down on the gas before its in gear, thats a good way to lose the transmission, second, is it cold out? if so, are you parked in a garage? Have you had the trans oil changed in the last 15k to 20k miles?
Yea its like 20 degrees out, im not parked in a garage. And im not sure if the trans fluid or oil has been changed because i just bought the car. It just takes a while to switch into gear. What u mean i'll lose my transmission? How?

RebelK2 01-28-2007 02:37 AM

im not too sure if the temperature can cause problems in the transmittion bcause its always hot here in florida lol. u shouldnt be pushing the gas beforechanging gears because your transmition can die out that way. youalso may want to checkyour transmition fluid because having clean and fluid car parts isthe most important thing about a car.

marbro 01-28-2007 01:40 PM

yeah, whats your esentially doing is called a neutral drop, that is very bad for auto transmissions

but the reason why i asked is because if its cold enough and you havent let the car take the time to warm up it will do that but technically 20 degrees shouldnt be enough to cause that, if you have the availibility find out when the transmission fluid was changed last, if it hasnt been changed in that 15k range change it, in the end you really dont know how hard the car as been driven before you had it..... unless its a new one off the lot of course ^_-

and sssexy...... he drives an auto......

lightshow 01-30-2007 02:20 AM

dont do it again.......put it in reverse, wait till you feel it engage then back out. come to a complete stop that even a highway patrol officer would be proud of, then put it into d and wait for it to engage. then slowly proceed.

legionofone 01-30-2007 06:12 AM

ur tranny fluid probably needs a good change and the cold isent helping 20 degrees is pretty cold cold enough that u need to let it warm up... the tranny oil turns to goo and yeh... manuals have it worse (its hard as hell getting a tranny to shift at -15 :) ) o yeh and keep ur foot on the brake not the gas... wait till it shifts (u can definately feel it) then go dont give it any gas... u will slam ur torque converter and ur gears like nones business

curmax 02-28-2007 10:54 PM

I have had the same problem on my 1998 for the last few months. I live in hot humid SW Florida, and it's rarely below 65 degrees. I keep it in a garage, stay up to date with oil changes, and let the car warm up before putting it intodrive. I had the transmission fluid changed and I actually noticed a difference in performance......a smoother, quicker shift. Unfortunately, it only lasted 1-2 weeks. So I am back to square one. I am hoping not to have to replacethe whole transmission before I hit 100,000 miles.