Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   VTEC question.... (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/vtec-question-10892/)

ohsmustangs09 07-10-2007 11:07 PM

VTEC question....

ok so tonite i was coming home from my girlfriends house and i hit 110mph on the highway at about 3600 rpm
is that good? or bad ? keep in mind all i have is a catback exhaust and no engine mods.....but my real question, is when does the vtec kick in ?????? thanx guys!!!!!

Shadow1992 07-10-2007 11:18 PM

RE: VTEC question....

Well since your engine and wheels are physically tied together, you'll car will hit 110 at 3600 rpm in that gear, Vtec or not. But the wisdom of hitting 110 in an American highway...isn't the best idea.

ohsmustangs09 07-10-2007 11:20 PM

y isnt that a good idea ??? popo dont know me...ha...but when would the vtec kick in ????

pyaarawala 07-10-2007 11:31 PM

Don't know exactly, VTEC should have already kicked in if you're going that fast. VTEC usually kicks in on the higher rpms (5rpm+).

smaglik 07-10-2007 11:32 PM

110 eh? hopefully it was deserted.

ohsmustangs09 07-10-2007 11:36 PM

well im pretty sure i never hit anything higher than 5000 rpm but ill take it out in the morning and see...
yea it wasnt deserted but it was at night...which probly doesnt matter but o well....it was so smooth i know i could have gone faster...how will i know when vtec kicks in will i feel it or not ?

Velocifero 07-11-2007 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: pyaarawala

Don't know exactly, VTEC should have already kicked in if you're going that fast. VTEC usually kicks in on the higher rpms (5rpm+).
wait, what?
1st, what kind of car does this guy even have? VTEC doesnt kick on 5k unless you have an H22. other than that, it kicks in around 4k on 5th gens.
2nd, why in the world would you have to think you have to go 110mph in order for vtec to engage? try 1st and 2nd to test your vtec
3rd, no unless you have an H22, you will normally NOT feel the vtec engage, its sort of "non-performance" kind for most Hondas.
4th, this thread is retarded.

marbro 07-11-2007 07:41 AM

^agreed not that there isnt a search function that would have pointed you to the answer

00AccordLX5spd 07-11-2007 09:14 AM

VTEC can kick in over a wide range of RPM's. The only way to know for sure is install a VTEC indicator light. Here's a DIY: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/s...ndicator+light
It costs less than $30. The thread has some links to videos of one installed showing vtec as low as 2300 rpms.
As mentioned above, you are not going to be able to tell when it kicks in if you have a SOHC.

pyaarawala 07-11-2007 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Velocifero

ORIGINAL: pyaarawala

wait, what?
1st, what kind of car does this guy even have? VTEC doesnt kick on 5k unless you have an H22. other than that, it kicks in around 4k on 5th gens.
2nd, why in the world would you have to think you have to go 110mph in order for vtec to engage? try 1st and 2nd to test your vtec
3rd, no unless you have an H22, you will normally NOT feel the vtec engage, its sort of "non-performance" kind for most Hondas.
4th, this thread is retarded.

You can definitely feel VTEC engage on the F23 motor. At least I do. Also, where did I say that the you HAVE to go 110mph for the VTEC to engage? Also, I said I don't know exactly, but I THINK it kicks in around 5, my bad, I was a little off. Last, this thread is not retarded, if someone has a question, we discuss it, right? What happened to common courtesy?