Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Water Pump after 43,000 miles? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/water-pump-after-43-000-miles-12850/)

Bocatrip 09-28-2007 09:59 AM

Water Pump after 43,000 miles?

I have been using my mom's (original owner) 2000 V6 Accord with 43,000 miles. I noticed some antifreeze on the floor after the car was sitting. After my mechanic inspected it and pressurized the system, he noticed staining down the timing cover but no leakage under pressure. Isn't it unusual for the water pump to be leaking with such low mileage? The price for water pump, timing belts, and cam seals was $600. My mom drives very little (87 years old) and I just noticed the leak. Is this a fair price for everything? Can I get away with just the water pump and what should that cost? Must I address this leak immediately? I am not noticeably losing antifreeze. Any help would be appreciated.

00AccordLX5spd 09-28-2007 10:13 AM

RE: Water Pump after 43,000 miles?

$600 is probably the average price (I had mine done for $450. Prices range from about $350 -$750) You need to go ahead and do all the work you mentioned (t-belt, water pump, seals)while they are in there.It would be madness not to have the timing belt and seals changed, because they have to remove the timing belt to get to the water pump anyway. I do not think that is normal though. However, are the 43k miles mostly city driving with a lot of stop-go traffic and sitting at lights? if so it doesn't surprise me terribly.
Call a few different Honda certified shops for more price quotes. You should be able to get the work done for cheaper than that. But make sure the shop is Honda Certified.

Bocatrip 09-28-2007 10:24 AM

Yes, the car has been driven very little for the eight years of ownership and I would say 90% is city, stop and godriving. The quote I got was not from Honda but a mechanic I have used that is quite trustworthy. I was assuming that the Honda dealership would be way higher. Considering the very little driving my Mom does (2,500 miles per year), should this leak be addressed immediately? or can I keep an eye on it? In the old days when the water pump was part of the fan pulley, it would go forward into the radiator. I know this is no longer the case. Other than watching the water level, is there any other concern? Thanks.

00AccordLX5spd 09-28-2007 10:33 AM

The timing belt is up for a change anyway (maintenance interval is 105k miles OR 7 years - whichever comes first.)
I would save up and get it done.The dealers around here quoted around $550. I meant call a Honda Certified SHOP, not a dealership. Get the yellow pages out, there should be some in the car repair section.
A Honda certified shop (or dealership if you like to throw away money) will be able to tell you if it truly is the water pump leaking as well (it does sound that way to me though.)

Bocatrip 09-28-2007 11:36 AM

I will keep an eye on the severity of the leak for the next couple of days. I will also make some calls to get some prices. Thanks for the help.

deserthonda 09-28-2007 12:26 PM

$ 600 parts + labor ,, for t-belt and water pump, is a very very good price ,assuming that they use ALL honda parts ,,( timing belt, water pump, hydraulic tensioner,) outer belts and coolant it does not matter if they use non honda parts .

00AccordLX5spd 09-28-2007 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

$ 600 parts + labor ,, for t-belt and water pump, is a very very good price ,assuming that they use ALL honda parts ,,( timing belt, water pump, hydraulic tensioner,) outer belts and coolant it does not matter if they use non honda parts .
I guess everything must just be cheaper in Mississippi:D I had a Honda Certified shop do my t-belt, h2o pump, seals, & outer belts (with genuine Honda parts) for $450....dang, and I was thinking I was still paying too much

JimBlake 09-28-2007 03:11 PM

Leaking waterpump can be caused by corrosionof the pump shaft where it goes thru it's seals.

Anti-corrosion chemicals in the anti-freeze get 'used up' over time, regardless of miles. That's why I personally think anti-freeze should be replaced every 2 years even if you only drive 100 miles. Brake fluid too...

Bocatrip 09-28-2007 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Leaking waterpump can be caused by corrosionof the pump shaft where it goes thru it's seals.

Anti-corrosion chemicals in the anti-freeze get 'used up' over time, regardless of miles. That's why I personally think anti-freeze should be replaced every 2 years even if you only drive 100 miles. Brake fluid too...

You may be right as rain on this point. The antifreeze onthiscar in questionhas never been changed since new. It looks like crap too!(rust) If indeed it was the not changing it that caused the waterpump failure, it's too late to do anything about it. However, its' good to know for my 04 Infiniti G35 Coupe and any future cars I purchase.

Bocatrip 10-01-2007 05:10 PM

What I am finding particularly strange about this leak is where it is coming from. I cleaned the engine thoroughly and have been watching it very closely both when cold and warm. The only place whereI can see fluid is on the passenger side engine mount bolts! It gets wet around those 2 bolts and has the taste of antifreeze. I don't see it anywhere else and under pressure there is no further signs of leakage. I had it up on a lift at Honda and everything underneath is dry. There are a few brown stains on the outside of the oil filter that looks like rust. Honda was trying to talk me into replacing the engine mounts, telling me they are hydraulic thus causing my leak. Since I don't see any antifreeze splashing around the engine compartment and the resevoir has not gotten lower, I'm just going to observe before laying out $600 bucks. Could this be a very slow leak? and why would it originate high up at the engine mount bolts?