Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Whats more effective? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/whats-more-effective-7209/)

sssexy70 01-26-2007 09:03 PM

Whats more effective?

I want to clean out my 19972.2 litre engine. What would be more effective... should I put in fuel additives? or should I do a couple tanks of premium 91 octane gas?

poser_pilot6 01-26-2007 09:57 PM

RE: Whats more effective?

Fuel additives are okay. Try SeaFoam. It works pretty well.

RebelK2 01-31-2007 12:41 AM

if u plan on goin to a higher octane fuel i suggeston moving up at lil at a time, for exampleif ur putting the cheapest in rite now u can add the middle priced one for a while and then move to the highest octane. im not sure about fuel additives since i never used them before.

HondaRacer4Vtec 01-31-2007 04:53 PM

i heard putting higgher octane in the 4cylinder models are bad and you loss power.

sir_nasty 01-31-2007 06:29 PM

it's not going to be bad but on a motor that requires/runs just fine off 87 ocatane then 91 is just overkill, however, if it's pinging on 87 then I'd move up... if you want to clean out the motor run seafoam through the tank and a little bit through the engine and it will clean out the carbon build-up and the injectors etc...

legionofone 01-31-2007 08:02 PM

i would pull a valve cover before even starting to try to clean a engine with aditives just to see where ur at...

if the engine is covered in sludge and u send a bunch of detergents threw... and it cleans it out... where do those peices go...strait into ur oil... strait into ur filter ur filter clogs bypasses more sludge clogs up ur oil gallerys and i would like to introduce me to my freind "new engine"

now if u check it first and its realy sludgy... u can sorta do 2 things... 1. rebuild/overhaul a complete bath on the entire engine compnents and block... 2. leave it... generaly just keep changing ur oil ALOT 1000 miles and use desent oil with a good detergent package... and just let that do its job it should slowly nick away at ur sludge...

now if ur problem is mild... or almost none at all... ur good to go... pick ur poison and go for it...

if u have mild to heavy sludge... wrap it up every once in a while... a redline a day keeps the rebuild away... remember the guys that make our engines they are crazy import drivers... so they know how to make a engine that can handel a redline...

remember though be gentle dont neutral bomb it... no harsh redlines (when the engines not warm or whatever)

HuYnHness 02-01-2007 12:49 AM

how do we check if theres alot of sludge?

HondaRacer4Vtec 02-01-2007 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: legionofone

i would pull a valve cover before even starting to try to clean a engine with aditives just to see where ur at...

if the engine is covered in sludge and u send a bunch of detergents threw... and it cleans it out... where do those peices go...strait into ur oil... strait into ur filter ur filter clogs bypasses more sludge clogs up ur oil gallerys and i would like to introduce me to my freind "new engine"

now if u check it first and its realy sludgy... u can sorta do 2 things... 1. rebuild/overhaul a complete bath on the entire engine compnents and block... 2. leave it... generaly just keep changing ur oil ALOT 1000 miles and use desent oil with a good detergent package... and just let that do its job it should slowly nick away at ur sludge...

now if ur problem is mild... or almost none at all... ur good to go... pick ur poison and go for it...

if u have mild to heavy sludge... wrap it up every once in a while... a redline a day keeps the rebuild away... remember the guys that make our engines they are crazy import drivers... so they know how to make a engine that can handel a redline...

remember though be gentle dont neutral bomb it... no harsh redlines (when the engines not warm or whatever)

Couldnt agree more, Honda engines feel very comfortable at high RPM's I feel iam not stressing the engine at all. But i guess they made it like that becuase at lower Rpms it really doesnt have any push to it.

harold6091 08-01-2007 10:49 PM

use seafom it works pretty damn well but the best thing to do its after you use seafom change you oil and oil filter and start using a good oil filter and synthetic oil that will keep your engine like new till you burn it or else.

03Sleeper 08-02-2007 10:15 PM

Yeah....the engine purrs/begs to be redlined.