Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Why is my 2002 accord ULEV vetec going through oil so quickly (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/why-my-2002-accord-ulev-vetec-going-through-oil-so-quickly-28067/)

grkacl 09-19-2009 12:14 AM

Why is my 2002 accord ULEV vetec going through oil so quickly

I changed the oil my self about a thousand miles ago and just recently my check engine light turned on and my oil light turned on occasionally. Took it to the mechanic told me i only had 2 quarts of oil in my engine. I checked if i had any leaks didn't see any the oil seems to be good not coolant leaked in it. I also changed the oil the first time i put 5-20 which is the recommended which burned up quickly now i put 5-30. Any one know what could have caused the oil to go so quickly?

swapped1 09-19-2009 03:32 PM

my 03 just did the same thing then check engine light came on. code was vtec selonoid two hours later it stalled. it has 3 bent valves and needs a vtec switch sensor and selonoid and a rebuild!!! 54,000 miles!!!!! im pissed had the car a month it was practically new, but they still dont know where the oil went, wasnt burning it and wasnt leaking it

finch13 09-19-2009 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by grkacl (Post 184303)
I changed the oil my self about a thousand miles ago and just recently my check engine light turned on and my oil light turned on occasionally. Took it to the mechanic told me i only had 2 quarts of oil in my engine. I checked if i had any leaks didn't see any the oil seems to be good not coolant leaked in it. I also changed the oil the first time i put 5-20 which is the recommended which burned up quickly now i put 5-30. Any one know what could have caused the oil to go so quickly?

What else did the mechanic tell you? 5W-20 is a thinner oil and will burn faster. It's also not the specified oil for you engine, 5W-30 is. Honda didn't start specifying 5W-20 across the board until a year or two ago.

Valve guides and seals can leak oil into the cylinders and burn it, worn rings can burn it. Oil filters, oil pressure sending units, oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, cam seals, distributor seals, rear main seals can all leak oil.

Originally Posted by swapped1 (Post 184337)
my 03 just did the same thing then check engine light came on. code was vtec selonoid two hours later it stalled. it has 3 bent valves and needs a vtec switch sensor and selonoid and a rebuild!!! 54,000 miles!!!!! im pissed had the car a month it was practically new, but they still dont know where the oil went, wasnt burning it and wasnt leaking it

There was a similar story about a guy with a K motor that did the exact same thing.

grkacl 09-20-2009 12:35 AM

the mechanic just told me that i only had 2 quarts of oil and that's why it stalled... also what is the cost for putting new rings?