Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Worth it? 97 Accord cheap but problem (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/worth-97-accord-cheap-but-problem-25955/)

iEMW 06-09-2009 09:30 PM

Worth it? 97 Accord cheap but problem

Alright well here is the story. My boss is selling a fully loaded 97 accord coupe for $500. It had aprox 15xxxx miles. Car has new brake pads, master cylinder, and radiator.

The problem is that the car has a blown headgasket. My dad is telling me that all the bearings and stuff could be messed up from the water and oil that got in there when the gasket blew and this could just run up the cost. The car has also been sitting in the same place for 5 months but still starts up.

So the question I am asking: Would it be worth it to buy it and have the head gasket fixed? If the bearings are messed up would I be better off buying a new engine?

Thanks,
Eric

clutch811 06-09-2009 10:09 PM

IMO. for 500 bucks, that isnt bad for the motor problem. you could probly find a nice used engine cheap and just have it swapped. best if you could do it yourself too, heck if its a manual transmission buy an h22a motor and convert your computer to OBDI. would be quite a fun ride :) just make sure the body is sound and you should be good.

live2rice 06-09-2009 10:16 PM

I'd take it, if its too much to fix just part out what you can, then get $150-200 for the body at the junkyard.

You can find a whole new motor in the 3-500 range.

draser 06-10-2009 03:05 PM

Father's got a point, you can do a quick oil pressure check - since it still starts. If you get nominal readings then the bottom end is ok - main bearings, etc. You can even do a compression test, you may see the lower compression of 1, 2 cyls (blown gasket), but the others should read nominal, if there's no damage.
Should be able to get an idea of the engine condition.
Do you see a higher oil level? Let us know.

iEMW 06-10-2009 04:32 PM

Well how would I be able to tell if it was rusted from the water and oil that leaked into it when the gasket blew? Would all that coolent and stuff rust?

03Sleeper 06-11-2009 01:36 PM

Honestly, I would just get an engine swap and forgot about that problematic engine.

draser 06-11-2009 05:47 PM

All the antifreeze is in the oil pan, and if you'd checked the oil level may even be able to tell how much.
I there is no damage - the tests will tell you that - then after the repair you'll be fine. If you find damage then see the other replies.
As far as your rust question: you only care about cylinder walls, rings, and all bearing surfaces, and the tests will answer most of it.

CDelgado 06-13-2009 09:01 PM

Your dad might be right. I'd do that compression check. That will tell you if its worth it. And if you are going to spend $$ for an engine throw in an h22 for convenience for parts. As far as converting to OBDI ,IMO, doesn't make any sense to convert to a less efficient system. You could easily keep it as an OBDII and get an H22 off a 96 and older prelude and NOT worry about the wiring, as much.

clutch811 06-14-2009 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by CDelgado (Post 174852)
As far as converting to OBDI ,IMO, doesn't make any sense to convert to a less efficient system. You could easily keep it as an OBDII and get an H22 off a 96 and older prelude and NOT worry about the wiring, as much.

It does make sense, do some searching on google. the 92 to 95 prelude had OBDI and the same 200 hp motor, its not that hard to convert i believe they make harnesses you can buy. 96 was the golden year, same motor no immobilizer in the ECU, however people know this and charge tons of money for the ECU. any later and you get stuck with the engine and an ECU that has an immobilizer, hence cant be used.