Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   "limp home mode" and check engine light after MAP sensor disruption (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/%22limp-home-mode%22-check-engine-light-after-map-sensor-disruption-12796/)

6genex 09-26-2007 01:11 AM

"limp home mode" and check engine light after MAP sensor disruption

hey i could really use some help on this one, my brother ordered the wrong performance chip from ebay, it looks like it's just a crappy resistor in a box but him, being my brother decided to test it out without my consent. SOOO he removed the MAP sensor, which he thought was the IAT sensor and tried putting it in there, of course it didn't fit and when he turned the car on without the MAP sensor, the check engine light came on, the idle is constant at about 1300 RPM, and it only shifts into reverse, and second to low gears i think? anyways i've determined that because the system thought i was sending faulty info, the system went into "limp home mode" and now i want to find a way of resetting the ECU (with the MAP sensor now connected) without taking it to a honda dealership to have the codes rewritten for something ridiculous like $80
PS. the car is a 1999 Honda accord F23A4 4cyl engine auto transmission, modifications pertaining to my question are: K&N Cold Air Intake, and the top speed governor has been removed.
thanks - 6genex aka Aaron

00AccordLX5spd 09-26-2007 10:15 AM

RE: "limp home mode" and check engine light after MAP sensor disruption

Take the piece of crap eBay "chip" out of your car and toss it in the trash.
Hook everything back up the way it was before. Disconnect the battery completely for 15 minutes or so (to be SURE it takes all power away from the ECU). While you're at it, remove the "back up/radio" fuse under the hood as well. Both of those steps should reset the ECU.
Put the fuse back in and hook the battery back up.
Crank the car. Do not touch anything. Do not step on the gas or brake. Turn the key and leave the car alone. It needs to warm up to operating temp and try to "re-learn" the correct ECU settings.

6genex 09-26-2007 09:43 PM

first thing i did was rip that POS out of there. Unfortunately i already tried disconnecting the batter (both terminals), as well well as the radio fuse, only not just for 15 minutes, but 5 hours just to be sure, reconnected everything started it back up and the check engine light flashed on and idle remained at an unhappy 1300 rpm javascript:void(AddText('[:@]'))
any other suggestions beside buying an OBD II computer and resetting them myself, oh and ps where is the ECU in a 1999 sedan model? some say it's under the passenger seat but I'm not sure. do you have to rip up the carpeting?

00AccordLX5spd 09-26-2007 11:01 PM

Under the passenger side floorboard where the passenger's feet go. Don't get too crazy and buy another ECUyet. Unless you can find one at ajunkyard on the cheap. We should be able to figure this out. Did you let the car completely warm up to operating temperature before touching the brake or the gas?

6genex 09-26-2007 11:40 PM

yeah, didn't touch anything it only took a minute because the idle was so high. oh and i wasn't talking about buying a new ECU, but the computer scanner that you can plug into it that will let you view and reset the codes stored in the ECU

00AccordLX5spd 09-27-2007 10:04 AM

I don't thinks the OBDII scanners can retet anything. They just view the codes. Is there a check engine light on?

sosaman 10-03-2007 07:32 AM

all the obd2 scanners do is read the current codes and clear the codes that were present (if desired). if you disconnected the battery that would have cleared the current codes that were there. i don't know where you are at, but if there is an autozone around you can rent (put a deposit, and you get it back) a scanner and try and clear the code(s) (that is if the check engine light is on). they are not allowed to clear the codes, but if they are coolthey will do it. i used to work there, so i know. anyway, the high dollar scanners (snap on, etc.), will read the current codes, as well as the stored codes.

fyi, you can pick up a cheap scanner for like $50-70 or so, it's been a while since i've looked. g/l