General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Engine emission test failed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Help! Engine emission test failed

I just took my 06 Honda Accord LX to a state inspection station for a inspection. The results show that the Catalyst and O2 Sensor Hst not ready. The reason is that i replaced the battery a week ago and did not drive the car too much. In addition, they scan the engine using a instrument and found two codes: P2185 and P1157. They suggest me to drive this car for a week and then come back for a re-test. My question is: Are the error code P2185 and P1157 caused by the replacement of the battery or that means the engine temperature sensor and Air/fuel sensor failed? If i drive the car for a week from now, will these two codes disappear in the re-test?

Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor

Read more: P1157 Honda Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Range/Performance Problem OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

Old 10-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Is your check engine light turned on while driving?

I also remember you replaced the radiator. The engine coolant temp sensor 2 (P2185 code) is bolted to the radiator. Verify it is plugged in and verify the wiring wasn't damaged during installation.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The "check engine" light is off while driving. The engine coolant temp sensor 2 is bolted to the radiator. how can i verify it is good or bad? the wiring is fine.
I also replaced the thermostat.

Originally Posted by PAhonda

I also remember you replaced the radiator. The engine coolant temp sensor 2 (P2185 code) is bolted to the radiator. Verify it is plugged in and verify the wiring wasn't damaged during installation.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

For the air/fuel ratio sensor trouble code, check to see if under-dash Fuse No. 4 (15A) and No. 23 (7.5A) are okay.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I found that when i replaced the radiator, i moved the original engine coolant sensor 2 to the new radiator, but i did not move the O-ring to the new radiator. Will that be the problem? should i drain out the coolant and put the O-ring back to the new radiator?

Originally Posted by PAhonda

Old 10-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have measured the resistance of the coolant temp sensor 2. It reads 1.99 kohms at room temperature and goes down to 0.7 kohms after i run the engine for 10 minutes. Is that a normal range?

Originally Posted by mike.zhang
The "check engine" light is off while driving. The engine coolant temp sensor 2 is bolted to the radiator. how can i verify it is good or bad? the wiring is fine.
I also replaced the thermostat.